December 31, 2011

No Longer Thirsty

Interesting that on the last day of 2011 Spurgeon selects a passage of Scripture that describes what Jesus did on another last day more than two thousand years ago.
On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’ ” Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified. (John 7:37–39)
It was close to the time of His arrest, trial, and subsequent crucifixion, but Jesus was still thinking about the eternal destiny of the people He came to save. He pleaded with them to recognize their thirst and come to Him for satisfaction that would not only last forever, but would bless everyone who was touched by its flow. He knew that the Holy Spirit would enter their lives as soon as He was glorified. This was His great longing for them and for us.

How does a person know if they are thirsty for the living water that only Jesus can supply? Is it a desire to know the truth? Is it a search for answers to those big questions like, “Why am I here?” “Is there life beyond this life?” “What is my purpose for existing?” “Is there a God?” “If there is, can I know for sure?” “What can I do about my sin and guilt?” Does God forgive, and if so, how can I be forgiven?”

For me, the questions were along the line of what happens when I die? My father told me that energy is neither created nor destroyed. I don’t know if he was correct or not, but I do know that I was filled with a burning desire, a thirst, to know what would happen to the energy of me after I died.

I didn’t come to Jesus though. I looked for answers in all sorts of other places, but none of them gave me that living water that Jesus promises to those who believe. Finally He came to me, put the drops on my tongue, and that was the last day of my thirst and my search.

On this last day of the year I am thinking of how wonderful to know Jesus and to experience the fulfillment of this promise. I drink deeply of His living water, having learned that nothing else satisfies my search or my thirst. I know the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. He gives me love, peace, joy and a whole pile of grace that I cannot earn or deserve. He is a blessing beyond compare, given all because Jesus was willing to die and be lifted up, and in the doing of it, be glorified for my sake.

Yesterday’s headaches, literal and figurative, are gone because the Lord of life washes them away, making me clean, whole, filled with Himself. I want to stand today, on this last day, and cry out, “If anyone is thirsty, come to Jesus and drink. Whoever believes in Him, as the Word of God promises, will receive and be a channel for living water. This is possible because Jesus died for us, rose again for us, and was glorified so the Holy Spirit could come and fill us with all the fullness of the Himself.”

*******
Lord, I was thirsty and You satisfied me. Every time that I feel even the slightest bit parched, You are here with me, giving me all that I need to be satisfied, blessed, and a blessing. This is incredible good news. Help me share it in 2012 with every thirsty soul that You bring into my life.

No comments: