December 25, 2011

Keeping Christ in Christmas

It is early, before church, before the gift-giving and receiving, before the food and laughter with family and friends. This is the best part of every day and particularly Christmas Day — being alone with the Lord, reading His words to me, sensing His presence, talking with Him.

I’m a bit surprised at Spurgeon’s choice for his devotional on this Christmas day. It is a warning, and with very little reflection, I realize that it is appropriate. He begins with this verse from the ancient book of Job.

And when the days of the feast had run their course, Job would send and consecrate them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, “It may be that my children have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did continually. (Job 1:5)
Spurgeon says, “What the patriarch did early in the morning, after the family festivities, it will be well for the believer to do for himself ere he rests tonight. Amid the cheerfulness of household gatherings it is easy to slide into sinful levities, and to forget our avowed character as Christians.”

Of course this ought not to be so, but he is right in saying that days of feasting are very seldom pure and sanctified enjoyment. They too frequently degenerate into “unhallowed mirth” and thoughtlessness.

Yet Christians can experience a hallowed joy that is pure and without idle words and loose talk. We know a holy gratitude with deep appreciation to God for all that He has done for us. We know the supreme joy that comes as we think about the advent, the incarnation of God into human flesh, the coming of Him who loves us. Yet our celebrations so easily turn from that supreme delight to more worldly “fun” that is unconsciously sullied simply by forgetting Him.

Today, I do not want to put Jesus out of mind nor have Him slip to second place. I do not want to sin by saying foolish things or thinking selfish thoughts. I want to be a blessing to those around me without any carelessness or vanity.

Yet so easily it happens. We play games and laugh. It is easy to be very happy and substitute that delight for the pure joy of being filled with the Holy Spirit. It is so easy to be kind and loving for the reciprocity of it rather than because the Spirit of Jesus in me is truly thinking of others rather than myself.

Some may think this is hair splitting, or not really important, but I know what happens when I am forgetful of my high calling, when I speak idle words or fall into those so-called little sins of ignorance and carelessness. I know that others are blessed in a true, spiritual and eternal sense only by the power of the Holy Spirit. My best is never good enough. Anything I do or say cannot touch souls unless the Spirit is in it.

While at the end of this Christmas day, or any day, I can confess any folly and disobedience and be washed anew by my forgiving God, I would rather not need my conscience purged from dead works.

******
Lord, this day is about You. Keep my heart focused. Poke me sharply should I turn from the leading of Your Spirit. Keep me alert that if I sin, I will confess and yield immediately — today because it is Christmas, but all days also. Each one of them belongs to You.

Happy Birthday, Jesus.

No comments: