December 5, 2011

All for the asking

St. Cross Hospital is England’s oldest almshouse. It was founded by William the Conqueror's grandson, Henri du Blois in 1132 and continues an ancient tradition called the Wayfarer's Dole. Any person who knocks at the door of the Porter’s Lodge and asks for it will receive a small horn cup of ale and a piece of bread.

The almshouse idea came from a monk, but I wonder if he was thinking of these words uttered by Jesus Christ?
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him! (Matthew 7:7–11)
This offer from the Lord goes back even farther than the tradition at St. Cross. He said it more than two thousand  years ago, linking it to His eternal Father who has no beginning or end. His mercy and gracious heart are always open to those who come to Him in need.

Hungry sinners may ask for bread, even the bread of life, and this is freely given. Yet the offer includes more. There is a bath attached so that marred and sinful souls can go to Jesus and be washed. This fountain is always full, always efficacious, always ready to wash away crimson stains and make us whiter than snow before God.

Jesus’ offer includes a wardrobe. Those who are washed from sin are given a new robe of righteousness. His offer provides armor that will cover and protect those who wear it. This includes a sword and a shield to defend and protect the cleansed sinner’s soul from the enemy’s lies, even refuting them and sending him away. All this is ours for the asking.

Actually, at the feet of Jesus, nothing that is good for us is ever denied. He takes care of physical, mental, emotional and financial needs. He freely offers wisdom to those who ask. Nor only that, the one who knocks at the Savior’s door is given an eternal heritage of treasure beyond imagination.

Spurgeon urges his readers to run to mercy’s door and ask large things of our generous Lord. He encourages me to spread all my needs, even my wants, before the Lord. I am not to be bashful or hesitant about this, nor hindered by unbelief. Jesus said it — and He meant it.
**********
Oh Lord, You know how easily I come to You with a list of my I-wants, even so sure of Your ear that I forget to praise You as I ought. I know and am grateful for Your grace and generosity. You have taken care of my needs since that first day when You came knocking at the door of my heart. Since that day, my requests have changed. Some are still personal, but many are for the spiritual well-being of Your people (which You promise to fulfill) and the salvation of those not yet standing at Your door. As I pray, I know that You care for those in need far more than I do. Not only that, You can put a desire in their heart to seek You and to ask You for the bread of life. May no one who sees Your gracious offer pass by and remain in need.

(photo credit)

No comments: