November 27, 2011

One set of footprints

Many are familiar with the poem “Footprints” where the poet describes parallel marks in the sand showing those days when she walked beside Jesus. Then she is dismayed by only one set of footprints, thinking He has abandoned her. But Jesus tells her that those are the days when He was carrying her. This verse reminds me of that poem.
Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation. (Psalm 68:19)
It also reminds me that God daily bears me up, even on those days when I feel I don’t need carrying, and those days when I’m so helpless that I wonder if He dropped me.

For the days of independence, His Word continually reminds me that He is my source and resource. Apart from Him, I can do nothing — nothing of eternal value, but also it is in Him that I live and move and have my being. Apart from the grace of God I could not take another breath.

For those helpless days, days of feeling weary and fatigued, I need to remember He is carrying me and not become discouraged or ever doubt that even in this, He is at work. He uses all things for my good. He cares for me.

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:16–18)
As I read this, I know that no matter how I feel, there is always only one set of footprints. He is always carrying me. I also know that my part in this daily inner renewal is a full-time job.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2)
I need continual time with the Lord, not as a habit but as genuine communion. Prayer cannot be a duty but an intimacy. Reading His words cannot be skimming or without listening — because He speaks between the lines and in the silent spaces. He carries me all the time; I need to be carried all the time.

**********
God, You daily bear me up. I am totally grateful. Today is no different from yesterday or any other. I need You. I need the strength that You give and the sense of being held up, that my burdens are Your burdens, and that You are using all things for my good as You renew my inner spirit and prepare me for eternal glory.

No comments: