October 11, 2011

What am I supposed to do?

In studying the will of God, I’m becoming convinced that He isn’t nearly so interested in choices about vocations, residences, even friendships as He is calling me to choose godliness, holiness, being like Jesus.

In the beginning of my walk with Christ, God gave me these verses. They have been a guide to carry me through the “all things” that could otherwise push me off track.

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. (Romans 8:28–30)
These verses conclude that God’s desire for my life is that I be like His Son. His calling is to that destiny, not a career or where I live or what I choose to occupy my time each day. He this call to holiness it possible by grace, forgiveness, justification and so much more.

Spurgeon writes about His calling. He quotes 2 Timothy 1:9 to remind me that God saved me and called me to a holy calling, not because of my works but because of His own purpose and grace, which He gave me in Christ Jesus before the ages began.

This is “a holy calling” that forbids my trust in my own doings. It draws me to Christ alone for salvation, but it afterwards purges me from dead works to serve the living and true God. There is no mention where or how, just do it.

The Bible also says that just as the One who calls me is holy, so I must also be holy. Anyone who lives in sin is not called, but those who are truly Christ’s are anxious and stressed over sin, desiring to be rid of it and asking the Lord for grace to be holy. 

Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:13–14)
This is an upward call, a call toward godliness. Again, the Scriptures say very little about what I might choose to do with my life here in this world. I can be a writer or an artist, an engineer or a maid. God isn’t as concerned about those choices as He is that I am holy, that my heart is set upon heavenly things. He wants my hopes, tastes and desires to do with that which is eternal, not occupied with anything that cannot be taken into glory with me.

Hebrews 3:1 calls this a “heavenly calling” which is from there and to there. I “look for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God” because I am a “stranger and pilgrim upon the earth.” My literal occupation is secondary to the occupation of my heart and mind and spirit.

*********
Father, I’ve been unnecessarily stressed over what I should do with the rest of my life. I could concentrate on one thing or try to do several. I’ve wrestled with these choices and have heard no clear direction from You except this — You want me to be like Jesus in whatever I do. The doing is not as important as the being. As I think about this, I sense that You want this priority totally in place before offering me guidance on anything else. Thank You.

No comments: