October 3, 2011

Temptation

Today’s devotional tells me that there is no sin in being tempted. Sin happens when I yield to temptation. I’m very glad this is true, particularly because yesterday’s temptation nearly tipped me over.

Someone accused me of something that was a total figment of their imagination. My first thought was that I must defend myself. My next thought was retaliation. Then I decided to make sure there was no shred of truth to the accusation. After prayer and listening for a word from the Lord, my conscience was clear. Not long after that, my blood pressure started to rise again.

Earlier in the day, our ladies’ Bible study group discussed the idea of sin being like tipping over. Someone said that she’d experienced situations where the temptation was strong, but the desire to fight it was also powerful. In that battle, she felt like she was on tilt. We joked a bit, even using words like feeling “tipsy” to describe this very serious struggle. After that accusation happened, this word picture jumped back to mind and helped me remember that I must stay upright.

Sometimes temptation hits without warning and I dismiss it. Sometimes I give in before realizing that it was pulling on me. This time I felt the pull, but I also felt the power of God as I prayed for grace to stand. Several minutes passed where it seemed I was standing on one leg. However, the Holy Spirit came alongside to help me. Soon the desire to strike back changed to compassion and the Lord gave me a deep concern for my accuser’s spiritual well-being.

This does not happen every time. Sometimes, as I already said, I am blind-sided and tip over before I realize what hit me. Sometimes the temptation is more appealing to me than being like Jesus, so I make a choice and give in. Yet I am aware that this is not what God wants or provides. He says . . .  

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
This verse first lets me know that I am not alone in my temptations. Everyone struggles with them. However, God knows my heart and what tests I can pass. He also provides a way to stand, to escape the temptation. This way is not firm resolve nor even trying harder. Nothing of my own efforts will rescue me. Only Jesus can do that. 
Therefore (Jesus) had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted. (Hebrews 2:17–18)
Jesus walked this way before I did. He knows all about false accusations. Mockers accused Him then and they still say shameful lies about Him. In all of that, He remains sinless. Because He lives in me, I can rely on Him to help me. I do not need to give into temptation. Even though the enemy of my soul wants me to disobey God, God is stronger. He is able to control what comes at me. Nothing can tempt me without His permission.

God also supplies a way of escape. This escape is not will power (or won’t power). It is the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit. Because of Him, I can put myself in His hands and let Him meet all accusations and any other type of temptation. This is what it is like to have a Savior. He saves me. I totter and struggle, but by calling out to Him, I also experience being able to say no to sin and yes to God.

*********
Lord, yesterday’s challenge proved again that You are faithful. I’d love to be protected from people who want to harm anyone who loves You, but I know that will not happen. Jesus did not escape such abuse and neither will I. In this experience and with the temptation to retaliate, I learned that I can teeter on the edge, but You are totally faithful. You pulled me back and kept me from tipping over.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Tonight, as well as every night for a while now, I've been dealing with temptation. I've come under conviction many times, and told God that each failure was the last. It never was. After reading your article, while the temptation didn't go away, it really got me to pray harder than Satan was trying to win me over. I'm now in bed, still feeling the temptation, but comforted to be reminded that Jesus lives within me, and he guides actions AND reactions. I'm being tempted; I'm reacting with prayer and an early bedtime. Thanks for writing such a good article. It helped more than anything else has so far. Really, thanks.