October 27, 2011

Sayings to live by

As many facets of life, Christianity has axioms and sayings, like “Christ is the answer” and “Let go and let God.” Some of them are powerful, some cliches, and some make me shake my head because they are pat answers or need a paragraph of explanation.

Paul wrote letters to Timothy and Titus, two younger pastors. In those days, some axioms must have been circulating too because he mentioned several as being “trustworthy.” Unlike today’s short phrases that become posters and the text of greeting cards, most of them were a bit longer and probably not put on plaques to sell in gift shops. Here are the five that I could find, putting the “saying” (as near as I can determine) in italics.

The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. (1 Timothy 1:15)
The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. (1 Timothy 3:1) 
Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe. (1 Timothy 4:7–10)
Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. The saying is trustworthy, for: If we have died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him; if we deny him, he also will deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful — for he cannot deny himself. (2 Timothy 2:10–13) 
He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people. (Titus 3:5–8)
If I were to put these trustworthy sayings on my wall, I might shorten them. They would serve as reminders of five important truths.

CHRIST JESUS CAME TO SAVE SINNERS. As Paul, when I think about myself as a sinner, the word ‘foremost’ comes to mind also. This saying has a humbling effect.

LEADERSHIP IS A NOBLE ASPIRATION. Many will not get involved in Christian service because they know and fear that those on the front lines receive the most criticism and face the greater challenges. This saying looks at the other side of the coin and encourages me to step up to any task God asks me to do, even leadership.

GODLINESS FOR LIFE • GODLINESS FOR ETERNITY. Our faith is not pie-in-the-sky but practical. This blog is about living for Jesus in the here and now, finding His direction for godliness in my life. This saying is the overarching principle of why I am on this earth and what I will be like in eternity.

DEAD TO SIN • ALIVE TO CHRIST. Godliness is about dying to self and living for God. It is about endurance and knowing the power of God and His faithfulness in my life now and for eternity. This saying motivates me to be faithful to my calling.

SAVED — NOT BY MY WORKS BUT BY HIS GRACE. This is like the first one. There is nothing I can do to secure forgiveness and eternal life. Jesus did it all. I am an heir to all God promises because God the Son died for me. This saying is vital. By knowing I am no longer condemned, I am free to do good – for God and others — without self-serving ulterior motives.

********
Lord, Your Word does not give enough information to show me how these “sayings” were expressed in New Testament times, but today Your Holy Spirit blesses me with these trustworthy thoughts. You remind me of what Jesus has done, of who I am, and of how You want me to respond to Your faithfulness. While I would not argue with the Apostle Paul, it seems to me that every saying in the Bible should be called faithful and trustworthy because that describes You, the Author and source of these encouraging words. Thank You.

No comments: