October 24, 2011

Daily washed

Yesterday’s Sunday Bible study was about death to our selfish nature. No one argued that this was an easy issue. Every Christian knows that unless we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we have “me, myself and I” to contend with. In our sinfulness, we wanting to run things, even manage our Christian lives. This is impossible.

Jesus knew that, so He provided for even the daily struggle it causes. In a great act of His eternal love, He died once for all our sin, put us into the family of God and made us new creatures. However, what patience and love are demonstrated each day, even each hour, as He takes our self-centered follies and disobedience to the throne of grace and washes them away. We have been made clean, yet He continues to make us clean. He pointed forward to this eternal grace and mercy as He took aside His disciples to show them how to love one another. 

Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him. (John 13:5)
Jesus loves His people so much that every day He continues to do that which is illustrated in washing soiled feet. He took the role of a servant with this basin and towel. As our servant, He does what is needed, but also feels our sorrows, hears our desires, and forgives our acts of sin and selfishness. He is both our King and our Friend, our Master as He stands to intercede for us and our Servant as He goes among us with a basin and a towel.

Each day I confess my selfish attitudes and actions. So much of what I do is not worthy of my calling. Each day I experience His great patience when I ask to be forgiven and cleansed, hearing Him say, “I will, be thou clean.” He takes away my guilt and purifies my heart, washing me, changing me — a marvel of His incredible goodness.

To know eternal redemption is a great wonder. To know Christ’s daily patience and continual forgiveness of repeated sin and selfishness is perhaps a greater wonder. How many times have I said, “Oh no, I did it again” only to hear Him say that His blood is sufficient for every sin, or even to reply, “I died for that!”

He even says that I died with Him. In the act of redemption, I was crucified to sin, to the world, even to my selfishness. Yet that self-life (not my personality but my selfishness) remains. I am to consider it dead, treating it as a dead thing, but when it rears up to dismay me, I turn to the eternal patience of my Savior who still carries a basin and a towel.

**********
Lord, Your great patience is a motivation for me. While I am grateful that You wash me clean again and again, I would be far better to obey You continually, not giving my selfishness any opportunity to usurp Your place on the throne of my heart. Yet I realize this battle will continue until my feet are on the threshold of eternity. I will need washing and cleansing until that one last time before all sin is gone. Thank You for your incredible grace in forgiving the lump sum of all my sin, and for even more, that daily You forgive and wash my repeated offenses. What a wonder! What a Savior!

No comments: