August 29, 2011

Why depravity is total

After a brief Bible study on the deceitfulness of sin, I understand why William Carey, a missionary and godly man, didn’t want a glowing tribute in his eulogy. Near the end of his life, he was asked about it. He replied, “Oh, I feel that such a poor sinful creature is unworthy to have anything said about him.” He went on to say if a funeral sermon must be preached, the first verse from Psalm 51 would be his selection. 
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! (Psalm 51:1–2)
Carey knew what God teaches us about ourselves — that even the best of us are still sinful humans. Some who profess to be Christian might boast, but those in whom Christ dwells cannot boast. Instead, we cry for mercy. We know that apart from Him, our lives are totally unprofitable. We His mercy on our good works, prayers, teaching, giving and all our sacred duties.

Spurgeon reminds me of this. He says that the blood of the lamb that spared the Israelites in Egypt was not only sprinkled on their doorposts, but later required on their sanctuary, the mercy-seat and even the altar where they worshiped. Sin intrudes into our holiest things. The blood of Jesus, the ultimate Lamb of God, is needed to purify even the most God-honoring activities from the defilement of our sin.

Carey knew it and I know it too. Mercy is required for our blatant sins to be sure, but mercy is also needed in regard to the exercise of our Christian duties and ministry. There is no part of who we are or what we do that is pure. A kindness may begin with unselfish thoughts of others, but so quickly slides into a reason to pat myself on the back. Prayer might begin as a helpless cry to Almighty God, yet can so easily descend into the arrogance of me telling Him what to do.

The term “total depravity” is used for the extent of sin. This does not mean that every life is as evil as it could possibly be (or does it?) but that sin has touched our total being. It affects everything we think, say and do. I cannot bring even the tiniest thing to God and claim that it is totally pure and without sin. Only Jesus can do that, and that is why I need Him.

**********
Lord, I am instructed to pray “in Jesus’ name” because I dare not come in my own. I’ve no merit, no qualifications to speak to You or ask anything of You. Yet according to Your steadfast love and abundant mercy, You blot out my sin and cleanse me from it. You see me in Christ, not in my sinful self. I have no claim of my own, yet You allow me to claim the righteous of Your Son. This is an incredible mercy — and I am truly grateful.

No comments: