August 30, 2011

Waiting — because I trust Him

After dozens of years of praying for the salvation of family and friends, I sometimes ask God for a little encouragement. Is He listening? Is He doing anything? Will these dear people soon know Him? When will He answer my prayer?

This morning God speaks to me about these questions. In my heart, I know that this is exactly what I need to hear. It is not what I expected, yet the comfort of the Holy Spirit assures my heart with these words . . . 

Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD! (Psalm 27:14)
As Spurgeon says, it may seem easy to wait, but this is a posture that takes years of training. Those who serve God would rather walk or march ahead than stand still. We want to see action, to know what God wants and when He wants it, then act accordingly. However, sometimes He is silent.

In this arena of unanswered prayer, I hover. Is the answer NO or is it WAIT? Will He say YES, and if so, when? Does He want me to do anything toward this answer? I look for opportunities to share my faith, to glorify God, to speak the truth in love. Yet the doors to all I could do or say are often closed.

In other situations, I am also uncertain. Do I flee the scene? Do I turn away to other things? Do I rush forward? When God says, WAIT I have sometimes felt more anxious and concerned, but as I learn to value His wisdom, then waiting is becoming less stressful.

However, waiting is not passive. I am to wait in prayer, calling on the Lord and placing my concerns before him. I tell Him my difficulties and plead His promises to help me. If I am uncertain which road to travel, I am to listen for His direction rather than rushing one way or the other. He is teaching me to trust His will — and His timing.

Spurgeon says that unfaithful, untrusting waiting is an insult to the Lord. Instead of twiddling my thumbs and feeling antsy, I am to believe that even if He keeps me waiting until it seems all is lost, He will answer at the right time. I am to wait in quiet patience, not stressed out by not knowing what God is doing.

I’m also not to complain against the second cause of my problems. That is, no matter what the source of my troubles appear to be, God is the first cause. To gripe about whatever seems to cause my problem or distress is to gripe against Him. I need to accept the situation as it is, then put it as it stands into the hands of Almighty God.

Spurgeon suggests praying in surrender and trust. He is right. I cannot force the hand of God even if I’m certain that what I ask for is in His will. I can only wait on Him and His perfect timing.

**********
Lord, as Jesus prayed I also pray — Not my will, but thine be done. I don’t know what You want from me. I want things to happen, and am anxious because You seem to not hear my pleas. Yet I know that You alone are the author (and finisher) of salvation. This is a job for You. I am the servant, not the Master. I must wait until You open hearts, drawing souls to Jesus, helping them repent and believe. I know that no matter what it looks like, nothing is too hard for You. You want me to wait in full assurance that You have heard my prayer and despite the lack of visible answers, that You care about these people far more than I do.

No comments: