August 15, 2011

A new challenge

In the evening, I’m usually too tired to do very much. Sometimes a book catches my attention. If the weather is nice, I might hop on my bike and go out for a tour of the neighborhood. However, far too often the television fills in those few hours after supper. Even though we watch something recorded and skip the commercials, and even though I might do some hand sewing at the same time, I often feel that I have wasted precious hours.

I’ve wanted this to change, but starting new habits is never easy. This morning, God draws me to this short segment of a verse in the Old Testament and challenges me with what Spurgeon has to say about it.

And Isaac went out to meditate in the field toward evening. . . . (Genesis 24:63)
First, Spurgeon points out that meditation is an admirable occupation. It is far better than spending those evening hours in “idle company, light reading and useless pastimes.” Rather, it is an aid to learning wisdom and certainly more profitable to my life and even to society than the uselessness of many other activities.

Meditation helps me draw closer to God. By dwelling on Him, His grace and all that He is teaching me, I can “extract real nutriment from the mental food gathered elsewhere.” Meditation can stamp the lessons of the day more deeply into my life. Also, when Jesus is the theme, meditation is far sweeter and more rejuvenating than even the best reading material and certainly superior to any form of entertainment. 

Spurgeon also takes note of the place. In the field, there is much to notice, think about and offer food for thought. The sky, trees, birds, even insects all point to the Creator and His great wisdom. Nothing in my house can instruct me or refresh me like a wildflower or a wild rabbit. All of creation points to the glory of God. Not only that, being in the field is far more restful than being in a recliner in the living room.

Last but not least is the time of day. When sunset draws an end to each day, very often the color in the clouds fills me with awe. The glory of the evening sky and the first few twinkling stars lift my heart from the toils and burdens of the day. Evening marks closure and putting aside all that has bothered or perplexed. It reminds me too that Jesus said, “It is finished.”

I live in a city. Fields require a car ride, although nearby parks are a short walk from my home. Many evenings offer distracting weather, but some do not. I have no excuses. I could be like Isaac and go to the fields and meditate toward evening. And as Spurgeon says, if I cannot spare an hour to walk in the field in the evening, the Lord is in the town too. He will meet with me in my home, or my backyard, or out in a crowded street — if I discipline myself to go forth and meet Him.

**************
Jesus, old habits are like old shoes, difficult to toss because of their comfort. Yet this verse challenges me to start a new habit, one that would not require any “breaking in” like new shoes. Instead, it means simply doing it. I am challenged. Help me forget the books, sewing, television, other idle time-wasting and spend my evening hours with You, if not in a field, at least apart from all the old and tired activities that have no lasting value. May this be an expression of my love for You as well, not for any profit it might give me, but more for the joy it brings to Your heart.


(Photo credit)

No comments: