August 21, 2011

God blesses sacrificial giving

My mother used to say that a person cannot be truly happy unless they are doing things for others. This was her expression of a biblical principle that requires discipline to learn.
Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered. (Proverbs 11:25)
Some television-based ministries twist this to mean that the more you give, the more you get, making the motivation for giving a self-centered one. They quote Jesus who said, “Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” (Luke 6:38)

However, this is not what God has in mind. By nature, we are selfish, me-first creatures. By giving in order to get, I make generosity all about me and what I can get out of it instead of truly thinking about others. Instead, the biblical idea of giving is like Jesus gave — sacrificially.

Jesus never once considered the cost to Himself more important than our need for forgiveness and redemption. As He died on the cross, He put us first. As God “so loved the world that He gave His Son,” He put us first. Jesus focused on the “joy set before Him” so He could endure, but that is not why He died for us. For Him, our lost condition was of utmost importance.

The verses quoted above do offer a sense in that by giving, we accumulate, but this is not the point. The point is that by putting the needs of others first, we do not need to fear the cost to ourselves. God says that when I make others happy, I will be blessed, but the sacrifice of giving must be entered into with that idea; I am making a sacrifice, not doing this so I can gain in some way. In fact, that focus is of the world and is not a reflection of God and His ways.

Spurgeon adds more to this idea of giving. He says that in order to become spiritually vigorous, we must seek the spiritual good of others. In watering others, we are ourselves watered — because “our efforts to be useful, bring out our powers for usefulness.”

That is, God gives me all that I need to serve others. I can be a source of love and power to them, but these resources are brought to light by using them for others. I cannot see or release the goodness of God in myself unless I am willing to give up my “i-wants” and obey the Lord. For instance, the tender sympathy of Christ comes out only when I try to soothe someone’s grief or carry another’s burden.

I understand this in terms of my God-given ministry of teaching. It is in teaching others that I gain instruction — and learn how little I know. As I try to help others, God teaches me His ways for my own life. “Watering” someone else produces humility in my own heart, as well as  deeper insight into divine truth.

It is the same with comfort. God increases my sense of joy when I forget my sorrows and try to soothe others. Spurgeon reminds me of the two men in the snow, one rubbing the other’s limbs to keep him from dying, and in so doing kept his own blood in circulation, saving his own life also.

Another way to say this is that God’s love and grace flow through open channels. When the channel is blocked by “me first” or a “my goals” motivation, then love and grace bless no one. The person who gives in order to get might receive some financial recompense (or not) but others will miss out on the blessing that God intended, and so will the self-focused giver.

*************
Lord, it was good yesterday to be occupied in serving someone else. It is also good to be reminded that while it is okay to feel sorrow at setbacks and losses, that sorrow can become “poor me” and block the blessings You want to give me. Thank You for those who put this sacrificial giving principle to work in ministering to me, and thank You for the privilege of being able to do the same for others. 

No comments: