August 14, 2011

Faith for the journey . . .

This week I read about Madam Guyon, a Christian woman who lived in France during the reign of Louis XIV. She suffered abusive treatment and incredible losses during her life yet was able to say, “Thou hast ordered these things, O my God, for my salvation! In goodness Thou hast afflicted me. Enlightened by the result, I have since clearly seen, that these dealings of Thy providence were necessary, in order to make me die to my vain and haughty nature.”

This week I’ve also talked with Christians who have enjoyed great prosperity and protection. From all appearances, it seems as if they have never suffered at all. Yet I know they too have had affliction in their lives as God works to make them more like Jesus.

These bring mixed emotions. In me, that is in my flesh, I would like the sweet attitude of Madam Guyon without any of the losses she experienced. I would like the prosperity without the affliction. But then I would not experience God’s power to deliver.

Then the LORD said, “I have surely seen the affliction of my people . . .  and have heard their cry. . . . I know their sufferings, and I have come down to deliver them. . . .”  (Exodus 3:7–8)
God delivers in several ways. As one described it, sometimes He removes the boulders from life’s stream, but sometimes He just gives us deeper water.

While most of us would like the rocks removed, learning how to rise above them is what produces the attitude of people like Madam Guyon. For her and for many, there is a measure of deliverance in just knowing that God knows. He understands the way that I take. He knows the state of my soul, the pull of the flesh and the spirit’s desire to be like Jesus. I can come to Him and He not only acknowledges all that is happening, He also knows what to do about it.

As Spurgeon puts it, God is my Physician and I am His patient. I don’t need to analyze the disease, the symptoms or even the medicine He dispenses. This is His work. Mine is to trust and His is to prescribe. Even when I cannot read the handwriting of His prescription, I can rely on His skill, take the medicine and know that He will use it to heal me.

God is also my Master. He knows what He is doing, but I, as His servant, need to trust His knowledge, not judge or second-guess Him. “The servant knows not what his lord does.” As His servant, my role is to take orders, trusting Him with the reasons and the results.

In the same way, an architect does not explain his plans to every carpenter on the job nor does a potter explain his design to the clay on the wheel. The designer knows his intent. I cannot guess God’s pattern any more than a brush can figure out what the artist is painting. Instead, I must let Him do His work without protest. He keeps me in a need-to-know state to help my faith mature.

Another analogy is that Jesus Christ is the Head and I am part of the body. The head makes the plans, does the thinking. Body parts do not have brains. In a healthy body, they simply do as they are told. With these examples, I understand that I must not compare myself to other patients, other servants, other works of art. He has purpose for my life and I must trust Him with that, not wish I were like someone else.

************
Thank You God for these analogies about childlike trust. You have a plan for my life. Now and then I catch glimpses of it, but for the most part, I’m more like the little one in the back seat of the family car. I could keep asking, “Are we there yet?” but You would be happier if I trusted You concerning the route we are taking and Your timing for the trip. You want me to trust and obey You — then simply enjoy the ride.

(Photo credit)

1 comment:

Jeanne Doyon said...

So well said, Elsie. I want to trust in His sovereign hand for He knows the plans He has for me.

And, you're right; we were thinking similar thoughts this day of the Master Potter's touch.

Blessings,

Jeanne
www.streams-edge.blogspot.com