August 5, 2011

Content with God . . .

In the Greek language, love is expressed by several words, each with a different meaning. For instance, eros refers to the physical attraction between man and woman and phileo is more affection between family and friends. However, agape is a special word. It means the love that God gives. This is a love that no one can express apart from God’s power being at work in their lives.

This morning I checked a Greek dictionary and discovered a definition for agape that I’d not notice before. Besides conveying the idea of self-sacrificing service for the good of others, it also means being perfectly content with, or well-pleased with someone.

Using that definition, the following verse becomes specific about the promise that it makes. It is not for everyone . . . 

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)
This promise is for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. The next verse further defines that purpose God promises to those who love Him. For all who are perfectly content with God, He will use all things to transform them into the image of His Son.

This promise to bring good out of things is not about making all turn out right so that we feel good, although that is not ruled out. Instead, it is about remaking our thinking and way of life so that we are like Jesus. Again, the “our” means those who believe in God and are content to let Him be our Savior. We don’t try to save ourselves by the trappings of religion, but are totally happy to be saved by grace.

Spurgeon adds further description to the assurance in this promise. He says those who love God in this way know that He “sits in the stern-sheets of the vessel when it rocks most.” That is, Christians know that God’s hand is on the world’s tiller. Wherever providence drifts, Jehovah God steers it.

This reassurance holds me firm. When I look over the raging waters during the great storms of life, I see Jesus walking and hear Him say, “It is I, be not afraid.”

I also know that God is wise. In Him there are no accidents or mistakes. As Spurgeon says, “If I should lose all I have, it is better that I should lose than have, if God so wills: the worst calamity is the wisest and the kindest thing that could befall to me if God ordains it.” I can say this because I know that all things work together for good to those who love God.

This is no mere theory. Throughout my forty years of walking with Him, He has faithfully worked for good all events, even those that hurt deeply. It is as my devotional reading says; the sharp cuts of the lancet have cleansed out the proud flesh and facilitated the healing.

Each event has brought divinely blessed results. God rules all. He also governs wisely and brings good out of evil. I am content with Him.

************
Oh God, my heart is once again assured. You enable me to calmly meet each trial. I can also pray with assurance for others who are in the middle of a storm. Even if they do not yet know You or have not yet learned to be content with You, You still have Your hand on the tiller. Your plans are perfect and Your way is always just and right. Thank You again for reminding me that I have good reason to love You and be fully content with You. 

(Photo credit)

No comments: