August 7, 2011

Battle tactics

When Satan in mentioned, many minds go to a cartoon character with horns, a forked tail and bright red body. By reducing this fallen and rebellious angel to this image, the next step is to take him lightly or dismiss him from existence.

Paul didn’t do that. He was aware of this enemy whom Jesus called the Liar and Destroyer and several times mentioned how Satan hindered him. 

But since we were torn away from you, brothers, for a short time, in person not in heart, we endeavored the more eagerly and with great desire to see you face to face, because we wanted to come to you — I, Paul, again and again — but Satan hindered us. (1 Thessalonians 2:17–18)
When I am praying, I’m aware that God does not need my persuasion. He is eager to bless people and do good. The Bible indicates prayer is spiritual warfare and the enemy and opposition to all that is good is Satan. He hindered the work of Paul and he tries to hinder everything that anyone attempts in service to Jesus Christ, including prayer.

Paul also knew that this enemy had various methods for stopping God’s people. Of course the big two are unbelief and sin. If he can get us to stop trusting God and tempt us to go our own way, this will effectively immobilize our efforts.

He does this in several ways. He lies. He makes suggestions that sound good at first but are contrary to the Word of God. He tries to make us think we can do good even in disobedience or that God is not interested in “this little sin.” He dares us to step out without relying on the Holy Spirit. He discredits the character of God and accuses God’s people. He tries to get us focused on minor issues, or pushes us to fight with one another. When rifts and spats happen, he knows that forgiveness is an important testimony to our faith, so he tries to stop that from happening.

Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive. Indeed, what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ, so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs. (2 Corinthians 2:10–11)
He also uses false teaching and false teachers who disguise themselves as messengers of God, even as “angels of light” who appear to be genuine but are telling lies. For those, God’s people need to have sound doctrine and be very alert.
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. (1 John 4:1)
When Satan tempted Jesus, he preyed on his physical weakness and extreme need at that time (hunger). He also promised worldly authority and power. Jesus resisted and answered him with Scripture.

Satan wants to silence the gospel and stop the spread of God’s Word. When the gospel is preached or shared, he tries to blind people’s understanding so they cannot grasp the meaning of the message. He might use violence and affliction as a way of deterring faith. He certainly uses distractions like the cares of this life and worldly pleasures. He will hit our weaknesses and make us proud of our strengths. 

I don’t look for Satan under every rock and think he is behind every activity that goes contrary to my plans, but I am aware that when God calls me to a task, there will be opposition. Sometimes I do not “feel” like obeying or am pulled aside by doubt, reasoning, or my own wants and wishes. However, the Spirit of God is more powerful than all of these. As I pay attention to Him, Satan’s methods begin to lose their strength. This is a very real war. I can win it by one major tactic . . . 

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)
Faith is vital, but so is obedience. Submission to God gives me what I need to resist this enemy, and not only does he lose, he must also take flight. He cannot do anything to me when I am yielded to the Lord.
****************
Father, these days of blessing are also filled with war. It seems that when Your goodness is at work, this enemy intensifies his efforts to deceive, distract and destroy. Keep me alert. Lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil — that You and Your name are glorified.

No comments: