July 28, 2011

Obedience matters

Even as a little boy, our oldest son was a philosopher. He’d come home from school asking questions like, “If I stepped on a bug, and that bug would not ever create other bugs, then some birds would not get fed. . . .” and on he went about the consequences of his actions that would ultimately affect the history of the world.

We chuckled, but perhaps he was wise beyond his years. Our actions do affect our lives and the lives of others. Maybe stepping on a bug isn’t very important, but even foolish thoughts can direct what I do and keep me from obeying God. Do I realize that even what seems a small folly has consequences?

Today’s devotional reading from Morning and Evening by Charles H. Spurgeon uses verses written by King David to remind me that I need to always pay attention to God. Even a little folly like envy can rob vital energy from me, energy better used in obedience.

I was brutish and ignorant; I was like a beast toward you. Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. (Psalm 73:22–24)
Spurgeon’s words are of a different era (1834-1892).  I paraphrase them so I don’t stumble with his expressions instead of letting the Lord speak to me, but appreciate all he says in today’s devotional.

First he reminds me that these verses are a confession from “the man after God’s own heart.” David was devoted to God, yet concerning his inner life he writes, “So foolish was I, and ignorant.

 The word “foolish” translated in the ESV as “brutish” conveys a bit more than what I think of when I hear either word. David says earlier in the psalm that he was “envious at the foolish when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.” This shows the folly of his thoughts, which he intensifies by describing himself as brutish and like a beast before God.

This sin that others might not even notice was for him a big deal. He did not make excuses for this envy. It was serious. Neither did he speak lightly of how he had forgotten the dreadful end awaiting those who enjoyed this life without any concern at all for their eternal destiny. His envy could have blinded him to that fact and kept him from being concerned about their souls.

Spurgeon brings this to my own heart. Am I any better? Do I ever think others are better off and wish that I could do what they do? In my envy, do I forget that even the most prosperous are spiritual paupers if they do not have forgiveness and eternal life. Not only that, do I really want to be like them? Have I a desire to enjoy life without crediting my Creator for what I enjoy, like they do?

If David was foolish, then I am also foolish. If it isn’t in envying the prosperity of those who don’t know God, then what about other things, like  doubting God when He has been so faithful to me? Or resenting adversity that He sends so I might experience a greater blessing and a richer understanding? How many times have I misunderstood His intentions thinking all is against me, when He is working all things together for my good? (Romans 8:28-29)

What about the times I’ve chosen sin because of its pleasure, even sin that seemed inconsequential at the time, only to regret it and wish that I had not been so foolish? Instead of looking at the seemingly carefree and wanting to be like them, I am supposed to recognize Christ’s care for me and want to be like Him.

*************
God, I know in my own heart that at times I must, like David, plead guilty to this indictment of sinful folly. My sins may not be the same as his, and some of them might seem “little” yet any sin is foolishness and all sin has long-range consequences. Sin always affects my relationship with You. It also hampers the spiritual lives of others. Being conscious of my large and small “foolishness” thoughts, words and actions, I must make David’s resolve my own and remember not only that You are with me continually, but that You will also guide me with Your counsel and eventually receive me into glory. Obedience does matter — big time.

No comments: