July 29, 2011

Nevertheless

Today’s devotional reading is a continuation from the same passage as yesterday. It is about the amazing and merciful grace of God. It also demonstrates the importance of every Word that God speaks. 
I was brutish and ignorant; I was like a beast toward you. Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. (Psalm 73:22–24)
The psalmist admits his sinfulness. He is ignorant of the ways of God and sometimes foolish and animal-like in his behavior. Nevertheless, God holds his hand, guides him and will take him into eternal glory. This sinner knows he is with God because God is with him.

Spurgeon’s words are wonderful. As I read them, I felt my own heart breathing yes and sighing at the wonder of God’s love. No matter what I do, I can also say, “Nevertheless, I am continually with Him.” Again I paraphrase Spurgeon for I cannot say it better . . .

“Nevertheless” regardless of all that has been confessed, it was still true and certain — David was saved and accepted. The blessing of being continually in God’s presence was still his. He was fully conscious of his own lost estate and of the deceitfulness and vileness of his nature, yet by a glorious outburst of faith, he sings, “Nevertheless I am continually with You.”

This encourages me to confess and acknowledge the same truth. “Nevertheless, since I belong to Christ I am continually with God!” By this I mean that I am continually on His mind, he is always thinking of me for my good. I know this because His Word says so. How amazing!

I am also continually before his eye. His eyes never close in sleep but perpetually watch over my welfare. He guards me like a hen her chicks and a shepherd his flock — no matter what I do.

Further, I am continually in his hand. No one can pluck me out, just as Jesus said. He holds me safe and secure in His care, even when I behave in foolish and ignorant ways.

Spurgeon says that I am continually on God’s heart too. I am worn there as a memorial even as the high priest bore the names of the twelve tribes upon his heart for ever. All of Scripture verifies that God will never leave me or forsake me. He says I am the apple of His eye, a jewel in His crown.

****************
God, You always think of me. Your love continually yearns towards me. You are always making providence work for my good. You have set me as a signet on Your arm. Your love is strong as death; many waters cannot quench it, neither can the floods drown it.

Surprising grace! You see me in Christ, and although in myself I am  abhorred because of sin, You behold me as wearing Christ’s garments, washed in his blood and covered. I stand accepted in Your presence and am continually in Your favor —“continually with You.”

This is comfort when I am tried and afflicted or vexed with any inner tempest. I can drink in the calm of these words and experience the peace that Your grace gives because, “Nevertheless I am continually with thee.”

No comments: