July 4, 2011

I live — yet no longer I . . .

When Jesus walked this earth He was still God, but in human flesh. How does this work? What part is God? Well, all of Him. What part is man? Well, all of Him. I cannot wrap my mind around this, yet there is a parallel in the lives of His people.

We who are Christian are also still human beings. I am the same person that I have always been. Yet something has changed. Christ lives here. Paul explains it this way:

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
This works itself out in our lives and is shown by the way we live, or it ought to be. Instead of thinking and living as I once did, the presence of Jesus Christ in me changes the way that I think and act. It is His sacrifice that has saved me from sin and His presence that keeps saving me, working in me so that I become more like Him.

Yet this is not a “zap, you are changed” action. I have to cooperate. How does this work? What part does Jesus have? All of it. What part do I have? All of it also, not that I can change myself, but like a glove, I must move as His hand directs.

Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false and does not swear deceitfully. He will receive blessing from the LORD and righteousness from the God of his salvation. (Psalm 24:3–5)
Outward practical holiness is a mark of grace. If my hands are not clean, I can confess my sin and be forgiven, lifting pure hands up to God. Yet as Spurgeon says, “clean hands” are not sufficient unless they are connected with “a pure heart.”

True faith is a work in the heart. I could make the outside clean, but if the inward parts are filthy, I am filthy altogether in the sight of God. He says that my heart is more true to who I am than my hands. The very life of me is in my inner nature — where Jesus lives. This inner purity is vital and only possible because He lives there. He also said, “Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God.” All others are blind and in darkness. Jesus is the light and my only source for this purity of heart.

Yet I have a role in this. The psalmist says that the person who is born for heaven “does not lift up his soul to what is false.” Everyone has joys by which their souls are lifted up. Those without faith lift up their soul to worldly and fleshy delights that are empty, temporal vanities. Those who belong to Jesus love more substantial and eternal things. We are not content with the things of this world. If anyone is, then we have a reward in this life, but are in danger of knowing no other joy.

The psalmist also says that the true saints of God do not “swear deceitfully.” Our word is our only oath. Further, false speaking would shut us out of heaven for lying is the activity of Satan and not that of a transformed and regenerated person of faith. I must not lie, just as I must not delight in worldly things.

So I am involved in my spiritual growth. I’m to keep my attitude as one who is dead to sin and alive to God. I’m to obey Him, not any other desire or motivation. Yet this life of obedience cannot be done without faith or without Jesus Christ living in my heart. What part is me? I dare not claim any of it lest I boast. What part is Jesus? I’d say all of it — that He is glorified as He should be.

**************
Lord, this mystery of You living in me and me needing to obey, doing what I cannot do apart from You, is a continual puzzle, but also a delight. When I do something that is more like You would do than anything I could invent, I am surprised and delighted. I shake my head and know with certainty that, “this was not me, but Jesus.” At the same time, I don’t feel like a puppet. I am a person with freedom and can choose how I live. Yes, being Your child is a mystery, but also an awesome and wonderful experience!

No comments: