July 20, 2011

God’s remedy for health

A doctor wrote a book called “None of these Diseases” using an Old Testament verse and his knowledge of medicine. In it he affirmed the relationship between a happy, calm spirit and a healthy body. He said that many, if not all of our physical problems are caused by undue stress.

I’ve also heard that if someone is ill, a relaxed and happy attitude leads to healing much faster than worry. This tells me that for my own well-being, I need to relax and rest in God. If I trust Him implicitly, regardless of the circumstances, it will be easier on my body. 

They who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:31)
Preacher and author D. L. Moody said there are three kinds of faith a Christian can have: a struggling faith, a clinging faith, or a resting faith. In the above prescription Isaiah uses “wait” instead of “rest” but it means the same thing. Renewed strength is about being at rest as I trust the Lord. It goes beyond that feeling of well-being when life is uncomplicated, even beyond the good feeling of a spiritual high. Waiting on the Lord and resting in Him is an attitude of the heart where I am relaxed and comfortable all the time because I know God loves me and is in control of all aspects of life. He cares for me no matter what, so I do not need to be stressed.

My mother had a saying while I was growing up that usually referred to the weather: “We must need this or we wouldn’t be getting it.” God has used that saying in combination with His Word to help me see that whatever comes my way has a purpose. Because He loves me, I need this and God will use it for my good. I don’t need to fret or be anxious about anything. 

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. (Romans 8:28–29)
God wants me to be like Jesus and while Jesus sweat drops of blood before going to the cross, I cannot imagine Him pacing the floor over other circumstances in His life, or wringing His hands when people resisted Him or rejected His life-giving message. Jesus was not a worrier. 
. . . . Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly. (1 Peter 2:21–23)
The secret to resting in the care of God is knowing that God is just and will do what is right. If I doubt that, I will struggle. If I think He will give me more than I can handle, I might cling to Him in desperation. But knowing who He is and that He wants godliness for me makes it much easier to rest in Him. It also is good for my health. Even though age takes its toll, my doctor tells me that I’m her “most boring patient.”
***************
God, I’m so thankful that You are who You are — and that You have revealed Yourself to me and given me faith to trust You, to even rest in Your care. So often my only anxiety is that others will also know You and be able to live at rest in this blessed and wonderful truth.
    Once my hands were always trying,
    Trying hard to do my best;
    Now my heart is sweetly trusting,
    And my soul is all at rest.
    —A. B. Simpson

No comments: