July 15, 2011

God's Fire

Fire burned much of an Alberta town early this summer. This week, an apartment fire made many people homeless and put some in the hospital. These news stories grab my attention, not because I’m fascinated by fire, but because I fear it. I tend to associate it with destruction.

This morning, God reminded me that fire has other connotations. I had asked about my plans and projects, enough for two lifetimes and wanted His priorities. He gave me this verse:

Fire shall be kept burning on the altar continually; it shall not go out. (Leviticus 6:13)
Scripture speaks of literal fire, but also uses it as a symbol. It can represent several things including God’s presence and power, His judgment or purifying work, prayer, or zeal for God. In this Old Testament verse, continual fire was associated with burnt offerings for sin and was God’s reminder to the people that their sin was continual, but so was His provision for it.

I need to remember this too. If I pridefully think that I do not sin, I will move toward a God-dishonoring self-righteousness. If I forget that my sin is covered by the sacrifice of Christ, I will shrivel in despair.

Fire is also God’s way of revealing His presence. When Moses was wandering in the wilderness and had not yet been given orders to lead God’s people out of slavery in Egypt, he had an experience that set the direction of his life and ministry.

And the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. He looked, and behold, the bush was burning, yet it was not consumed. (Exodus 3:2)
God has never come to me in fire, but the sense of His presence is important. When I think of His promise to never leave me or forsake me, I have confidence to do whatever He asks. If I mistakenly think He is not with me, I am fearful and uncertain.

Fire can be about judgment too. As a believer in Jesus Christ, I do not fear the fires of hell; I am not going there. However, the things that I do in this life will be evaluated at the Judgment Seat of Christ. I do need to think about that, hence my prayer this morning.

If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire. (1 Corinthians 3:15)
Spending time on frivolity is not only a waste of time but a sure way to suffer loss at that judgment of my works. God wants me to do things that have eternal value. Sometimes I know what they are, but not always. Reading my Bible all day could look good, but is not good if I’m doing it to avoid helping someone in need. Helping someone in need could look good too, but not if I’m doing it to avoid time with God in His Word.

The fire that God wants burning on the altar in my life sounds more like having a zeal for Him. In this, I am to use the gifts He has given me to help others and to bring Him glory.

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. (2 Timothy 1:6)
Zeal is not necessarily about fanatic behavior like chanting “turn or burn” on every street corner. It is more about being eager to let God judge and purge my sin now — so that I am free from every hindrance and can eagerly do the things God says as the Spirit of Christ leads, motivates and empowers me. 
Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality. (Romans 12:9–13)
******************
Lord, I hear You. You want me to pay attention to You, do what You say, and do it with all my heart. I don’t get a six-step plan or a clear outline. Instead, You want me to live in a right relationship to You with great zest. I’m to spend time with You each day, even each moment of the day, eagerly paying attention to Your Spirit and enthusiastically doing (and giving up) whatever You ask. For me, life with You is not a road map but a grand and daily adventure.

No comments: