July 19, 2011

God’s eye-openers

Sunrise — July 19, 2011
There is no greater experience than to see and recognize the glory of God. Yet as a sinful and fallen creature, this is another mystery. How can a high and holy God manifest His glory to anyone? We are so full of ourselves and have such a high opinion of our own abilities. We think and say, “Who needs God?” and because of that arrogance, our eyes become blind to the wonder of who He is.

Yet even those taken up with themselves can see the glory of God in what He has made. Consider the flowers of the field, the grandeur of the Rockies, the color and light of a sunset, the glisten of a trillion snowflakes, the stars in the night sky, and the amazing glory of a newborn child!

Yet God reveals His glory in other ways. Noah saw it and feared, building an ark as God told him. Moses saw it too. He said, “O Lord GOD, you have only begun to show your servant your greatness and your mighty hand. For what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do such works and mighty acts as yours?” (Deuteronomy 3:24)

There is more to God’s glory than the creation around us. Men like Job, and the Old Testament kings and prophets saw and declared His glory. Then, when Jesus Christ came on the scene, God’s glory was revealed in a man. The Apostle John said of Jesus, “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (John 1:14)

How does He reveal this glory? Not everyone saw it. In fact, instead of worshiping God because of His glory revealed in Jesus Christ, they crucified Him. What kept so many people from seeing it? Why do so many miss seeing it today?

Spurgeon says that to see God, “self” must get out of the way. He points out that if God is exalted, it is often through us being brought into a place where He can get our attention. We need to become conscious of our weakness and feel helpless. There is something about trials that lifts the scales off our eyes and opens our hearts to receive what God longs to show us.

If God’s glory is seen in deliverance from trials, then those whose lives are smooth and trouble-free will see little of Him. Those have no situations where they feel empty and therefore will not experience being filled with the revelation of God.

If my life consisted of navigating little streams and shallow creeks rather than “doing business in great waters,” I would never see His “wonders in the deep.” It is in the storms of grief, loss, poverty, trials, temptations and reproach that I learn the power of God because those experiences make me very aware of my own smallness.

God even says “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing” (James 1:2–4).

It seems an audacious command, yet I know my own wayward heart. During those “good” days, hours can go by where I never think of God or His glory. But let those days be filled with perplexity and challenges, and He is on my mind. It is in thinking of who He is and what He can do that my heart is settled. The glory of God gives me peace and hope. It should also make me thankful for those good days.

***************
Lord, Spurgeon says to thank You if I have been led by a rough road also. Not that my life is always rough, but he is right; the rough spots have given me experience of Your greatness and lovingkindness. I see Your glory in my troubles, and gain an understanding of You that I would never have gained by any other means. When I am suffering, those “trials have been the cleft of the rock” in which You hid my life, and like Moses, You let me behold Your glory as You pass by that hiding place. I’m thankful that You have not allowed me to stay in the darkness and ignorance that total prosperity can produce. Instead, You give just the right amount of affliction to humble my heart and open my eyes. Thank You for glimpses of the glory of who You are and what You can do.

No comments: