July 17, 2011

Being saved from . . .

When Jesus came into my life, I was in great need. From my perspective, my salvation was about being rescued from that mess and given help and hope for the future. However, in a very short time, God showed me that salvation is about sin. He will help us with our troubles, but first He wants to deal with that which separates us from Him.

Speaking of unbelievers, Paul wrote: “They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart. They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity” (Ephesians 4:18–19).

At first, I didn’t see or understand myself as a person who had a hard heart and was sinful in every way. Then God opened my eyes to realize that all humanity is separated from God, not by poverty, pain, or the mistreatment of others, but by sin. Until that issue is brought to Him in confession and repentance, no one can call themselves a Christian or expect His help with the other hard issues of life.

This morning’s devotional passage reminds me of how to identify genuine believers. Paul saw the “work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ” in the Christians at  Thessalonica. He thanked God every day for them and then gave his reasons . . . 

For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake. And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit, so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedonia and Achaia, but your faith in God has gone forth everywhere, so that we need not say anything. (1 Thessalonians 1:4–8)
Paul knew that God had chosen them because they responded to the gospel with conviction of sin. They confessed and repented and their lives were changed as God forgave them and gave them new life. They understood the ministry of Paul and others, willingly living as they did even though it brought them much affliction.

I think of people who go to a church, are sincere, yet believe Christianity is about being mild mannered, nice to others and sticking up for the underdog. For them, sin isn’t an issue and the message of the gospel is met with puzzled scorn or downright anger, not with conviction and repentance. Yet these folks, some very good people, make up a large body of the so-called “Christian” church. Entire denominations are filled with people who consider themselves Christian because of their good deeds and their refusal to call anyone a sinner. I tremble that they could stand before Jesus and say, “Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?” only to hear Him reply, “I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.” (Matthew 7:22–23)

In contrast, Paul says that the gospel touched the people of Thessalonica “in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction.” Key to this is that these people heard it, but the words were not delivered as mere words. God was at work. His Spirit was speaking too, and because of that, they heard more than words. They experienced conviction and then a new life.

Those who have been convicted of sin and turn to Christ for forgiveness are familiar with that power. Paul recognized it in these and other believers. I’ve experienced it in my own life, and seen it at work in others. True salvation results in dramatic changes. It isn’t just that nice people become nicer, but that everyone who hears and responds to the gospel becomes like the apostles (sold out for God) and like Jesus Christ. Yes, they do good things, yet their faith in Him as Savior and Lord becomes the identifier.

**************
Lord, I know that You love everyone, even the religious people who “have a zeal but not according to knowledge.” You must be sad for those who ignore Your gospel to “establish their own way of righteousness.” They want to be identified as Christians and do good in the world, yet they have rejected the salvation that will save them for their own sin and bring them into intimacy with You. How sad.

I am thankful that you forgave my sin and I’m delivered from its penalty. May I never forget that I still need You to save me from sin’s power. Don’t let it rule my life, nor let me look down on others who do not know You. Help me live as an example of a true believer, with joy even in affliction, and with great compassion for those who do not yet know You.

No comments: