July 30, 2011

Amazing Security

This week in our neighborhood a child was molested. He got off a bus, was followed by a man who also got off the bus and then nabbed and took him to a nearby field. A truck driver heard the child’s cries. Without hesitation, he ran to help, chased the man several blocks and pinned him to the ground. A witness called the police and the molester was arrested.

We live in an area where the crime rate is low. No doubt this event has shaken the sense of security for many. For me and for many others, especially women and mothers, security is an important issue. I’m truly thankful that God promises to care for me and keep me from anything He does not want me to experience.

He even offers more security than His care for this life. For those who believe in Him, God also promises eternal security. That means that I am His child now, and also His child forever. My devotional reading today reminds me of this.

All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. (John 6:37)
God does not toss anyone away who comes to Him, not in the beginning of their Christian life, not in the middle, not at the end. Yet even with this amazing promise, some might wonder, “What if. . . .”

But what if I simply lose interest and turn away? What if the world becomes more appealing than living for God? It does happen. Does that mean God will let me go?

No, even if I drifted away, God is not going to boot me out of His family. He says, “Return, you backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings” (Jeremiah 3:22, NKJV). His love continually calls me and like the prodigal, when I come back I am welcomed with open arms and restoration.

But what if temptations after temptations lure me? What if their power is too great for me? If I slide into sin, will God give up on me? Not at all. First, He has provided for that possibility. He says, “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it” (1 Corinthians 10:13).

Yet what if I sin? What if I don’t take that way of escape? What if I sin big time? His Word answers that concern: “My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous” (1 John 2:1).

If I fall into sin, even serious sin as David did, I have the promises of God that give me a way out through His forgiveness. 1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” Because I know this is true, I can say along with David, “Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow” (Psalm 51:7).

Spurgeon writes, “Once in Christ, in Christ forever, nothing from his love can sever.” He knew what I also know. Eternal life is just that: eternal. It means nothing can sever me from my life in Christ and my relationship with God through faith in Him. Jesus said, 

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. (John 10:27–29)
I know this is true. I also know that I cannot jump out of His hand, for as a child once said, I am one of His fingers.
*************
What a precious truth, O God. When You drew me to Christ, it wasn’t just for a short time, but forever. You gave me the Holy Spirit who removes that spirit of fear, bondage and insecurity and replaces it with the spirit of adoption. I can call you Abba, Father, my eternal Father. Thank You for the wonder and the security that You will never cast me out of Your forever family.

No comments: