June 18, 2011

Walking wherever He leads me

While ordinary days are mostly my experience, following Jesus Christ is still an adventure.  This is because His commands require faith and often contradict what I can see as He asks me to go where I would never go on my own initiative. Walking by faith is illustrated by this incident . . . 
(Jesus) said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” (Matthew 14:29–30)
In this situation, when they left shore, Jesus was not with them. A storm threatened their safety. Then they saw Jesus walking on the water toward them.

Before I get to the point of this event, I remember a scientist saying that there is absolutely no reason we should be able to sit on a chair. The space between the molecules in our bodies and the molecules in the chair are so far apart that they should easily be able to pass through and beyond each other. He was explaining how Jesus could walk through doors, but this also begs the question: if we can sit on a chair and not fall through it, why not walk on water and not fall through it? While I would not try it (unless Jesus Himself asked me) this is not an issue for the One who controls the elements of the universe.

In this event, the wind was actually blowing and the waves were actually enormous. The situation was truly dire, but Peter didn’t have his mind on that. He was focused on Jesus and stepped out of the boat as he recognized His call to come to Him. This is simple obedience, walking by faith, not sight.

Then Peter began to observe the actual situation he was in. He looked sideways instead of straight ahead and went down instantly. The Lord could have allowed him to walk on the water as he looked at reality, but this was not to be. Walking with Jesus is only possible by keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus. This is what makes the Christian life a grand adventure.

Sometimes I step out trusting God and then, like Peter, I start worrying about myself or wondering if I can manage, or second-guessing that He even spoke and asked me to take that step. As soon as I do any of this, I tip over. Like Peter, I start to sink, and like Peter, cry out, “Lord, save me.”

Even then, the adventure has not ceased. While better to never look sideways, even when I start in total trust, falter, cry out and wind up being taken by the hand and rescued, these are extraordinary experiences. After a few of them, Jesus gets through to me that I do not need to look around. If I keep my eyes on Him, I do not need to falter or sink.

************
Lord, walking with You is an amazing way to live. You have never asked me to walk on water, but sometimes on rocks, eggshells, slippery places, and even in total darkness. Each time, Your hand is outstretched. Because I know You will rescue me if I fall, I can take the next step without absolute terror. Help me totally overcome all fear. It is in this fearlessness that I learn to recognize that You are in control of all things.

No comments: