June 22, 2011

One that cannot be shaken

This morning a person came to my door with religious material in the hope I would take it and be interested in what she had to say. She emphatically declared that she followed the teachings in the Bible.

As we talked, I asked her what would happen if she saw something in the Bible, realized it was true, but her organization did not believe it. She said she would go to her organization for a “fuller explanation” to show her where she was in error. Then I suggested that her authority was really not the Holy Spirit or the Bible but her organization. She denied that even though she had just indicated it, and seemed convinced that she had the truth based on what she had learned from those who were explaining the Bible to her.

Regarding the power of the Holy Spirit, I know that this organization does not teach that He reveals truth, just as they do not believe that Jesus is God revealed to man in human form. They have a desire for righteousness, yet do not claim or believe in the imputed righteousness of Christ.

She also talked about the end of the world and her lack of fear. She is very convinced. For those who do not know anything about their beliefs, she could be very convincing. As she walked away, I wondered if her “faith” could be shaken.

Then Spurgeon takes me to this passage! It is about the kingdom of God and about those who belong to it. The context includes the end of the world and the warning that God will shake both heaven and earth in His judgment. 

See that you do not refuse him who is speaking. For if they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, much less will we escape if we reject him who warns from heaven. At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, “Yet once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens.” This phrase, “Yet once more,” indicates the removal of things that are shaken—that is, things that have been made—in order that the things that cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire. (Hebrews 12:25–29)
The devotional focuses on that phrase,  that the things that cannot be shaken may remain. This refers to the kingdom of God, which includes all those who accept His offer of eternal life by faith through grace, and do not refuse or reject the voice of Jesus. That is, when He speaks, we must listen and obey.

How do I know that Jesus is speaking to me? How do I know that Jesus is not speaking to that lady at my door? This is important, and this is how I know.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. (John 10:27–28)
The woman at the door makes no claim to hear the voice of Jesus. By my questions, it seems that if she did, she would verify it with the sages in her organization, not with the Word of God. In other words, they are the authorities who tell her what to believe.

Sadly, she also made no claim to have eternal life or the assurance of being with Jesus when she dies. Her convictions seemed solid, but she says she will stay on earth after she dies because she is not one of the “anointed ones” who get to go to heaven. She seemed to think that was better because she asked what people would do in heaven anyway?

Can she be shaken? I hope that she hears the call of God and responds, but that is not for me to know or decide. The more pertinent question is, Can I be shaken? Will my faith stand the test of a world turned upside-down at the hand of God who will judge it? Or is my doctrinal statement really the issue?

********************
Oh, Lord, my “faith” is not as much an issue as the object of my faith. I could put it in creeds, church teachings, interpretations and the like, but these can change or be in error. Instead, my faith is in You, the Lord Jesus Christ. You are who You are, and You never fail or are false. You died for me, yet death could not keep You in the grave because of the power of Your everlasting and sinless life. It is that endless life that is my salvation, not a religion nor a religious organization, not even my particular “beliefs” or interpretations. No matter what can be shaken, I am secure because You are secure. You cannot be shaken. You will remain, and in You, I am secure also.

No comments: