June 26, 2011

Miser? Or using all my resources?

Everyone has heard stories of people who lived like misers, yet upon their death vast sums of money were found hidden under their mattress or untouched in a bank account. They had the resources for abundant life but did not use those resources. This can happen to Christians too. 
His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. (2 Peter 1:3–4)
No Christian is without the power to live an abundant life that includes a Christlike nature and the ability to deny sinful desires. God has given us all that we need to escape sin and live victoriously. Outward sins may seem easier to conquer. No one wants others to see a debauched lifestyle once the claim is made to follow Jesus.

But what about those sins that are less obvious? What about the lust of the flesh (1 John 2:15-17) that can include everything from eating too much to an inordinate desire for personal comfort, a desire that overrides any sacrifice that might bless someone in need? What about the cravings that are so common in our affluent society? Just because we “have it all,” does that mean we can freely indulge in it all? I don’t think so.

We are called to love others as Christ loved us. That love includes giving up my “I-wants” to care for the needs of those around me. The above verses say that God has given me all that I need to do this. If I refuse, no matter how much I indulge myself, I am living like a miser.

What about the lusts of the eyes? This is about those things that give me pleasure and a sense of power and control. It could be material possessions, but it could also be fame, prestige, winning, one-upmanship, gossip, and anything where I try to make myself look better than I am.

I am called to love others, not focus on me, myself and I. This love is not about what makes me look good or even about filling my vision with things that make me look good. If that is all I want, I am also  living as a miser.

The Bible list of inner sins includes many things. The “pride of life” covers most of them. It is wanting whatever makes me feel good and look good in the eyes of myself and the world. Jesus did not live like that. His focus was always obedience to His Father and in that, He loved us so much that He gave His life for us.

Because of Christ, God has given me all that I need to live as He lived. I have His divine nature and the ability to put to death my sinful desires. Sitting on or storing those incredible resources instead of using them makes no sense — unless I let that desire to do my own thing totally control my life.

*****************
Father, first I thank you for giving me all things that pertain to life and godliness. Because I know You and have Your promises, I also am a partaker in the nature of Jesus Christ. This is an incredible privilege. It is also an incredible resource. All around me are people who live according to their sinful desires, making their lives a train wreck. Because of You and Your grace to me, I can escape the sinfulness that is in the world and in my own fleshy nature. In all areas of my life, open or hidden, keep building this desire for the abundant life that You make available through faith in Your Son. Raise me above the level of miser and help me live in the full riches of your grace.

No comments: