June 16, 2011

Light changes everything

This morning’s newspaper had a letter to the editor protesting the Christian stance against a particle activity that the Bible calls sin. This person said that Christians were warped because we agree that bullying is wrong, but then call this other behavior (which is okay in her mind) a sin.

The letter didn’t indicate what criteria or standard was used to measure right and wrong. It could have been a simple determination to do whatever she wanted, but it seemed more like “everyone can choose their own behavior as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else.”

One problem with that standard is that most of us cannot see very far into the future. We don’t know if what we do will hurt others, even if it seems okay at the time. When I was young and not a follower of Christ, I did whatever I wished. When I wanted out of my marriage, I had no idea how much a divorce would affect my children and my children’s children. They say hindsight is 20/20, but even with more information and education available today regarding the effects of divorce, has it made any difference?

In other words, knowing whether or not actions will hurt someone else may not stop people from doing whatever they want to do anyway. For some, consequences to themselves may not deter their choices. For instance, did the rioters in Vancouver, Canada last night know they would be arrested and put in jail? Even if they did, it didn’t stop them from doing what they knew was wrong.

Measuring right and wrong by what feels good, or what seems right, is a poor measurement also. Not only is human decision-making ability marred by short-sightedness and being in the dark regarding the full ramifications of our actions, it is also marred by selfishness and by a fear of what others will think. Anyone who is Christian finds that taking a stand against sin is increasingly “politically incorrect.” We need to remember who our standard is and where it is clearly spelled out for us.

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)
The Lord is our light. He sheds light on the options before us, and if He does not show us all there is to know regarding consequences, He still gives us clear direction on what we must avoid and what we should do. For instance, we know that bullying is wrong because the Bible is clear that we are to love one another, even love our enemies. Bullying is totally incompatible with love.

He also sheds light on other behavior, telling us what is right and wrong. Regardless of what the world might think, those actions that God forbids are harmful to others and a deviation from His plan in creating us. We are made in His image and given the capacity to glorify Him. All disobedience is a denial of that lofty purpose. If our disobedience hurts no one else (unlikely), it still mars our own lives, spoiling what we could be if we would listen to Him. Sin always hurts someone.

This does not mean Christians are perfect. I can be selfish and get on the wrong track too. I sometimes have problems obeying God because I can flip into selfishness and become shortsighted. But I do not have any excuses. He is my light and my salvation. I know better and He saves me that I might do better.

***************
Lord, when someone criticizes Your people for taking a stand against sin, I feel great sorrow. You have taught me so much about the folly of sin and how I hurt myself and others when I live selfishly. Defying You does not change who You are, but it does put a big barrier between You and anyone who sins. That barrier hurts those on the other side of it. I know this because You have shown me the horror and pain of my own darkness and rebellion.

But You have also shown me the wonder and delight of living without that darkness — walking in Your light and enjoying Your salvation. May You be light today to those who need light. Keep Your people in Your care and help us to not fear the critics who have not yet experienced Your light and salvation.

No comments: