June 9, 2011

Joy overrides sorrow

Before looking at today’s devotional readings, I was thinking how often I write about the positive things God is doing and rarely describe the trials of life. Some of them are deep and difficult. Even now, family troubles have me sleepless and often in prayer.

Then I read this from Spurgeon. I have personalized it and added a line or two, but he says what I need to say. He begins with this verse,

The LORD has done great things for us, and we are glad. (Psalm 126:3)
Some Christians are sadly prone to look on the dark side of everything, and to dwell more upon what they have gone through than what God has done for them. When asked for their impression of the Christian life, and they will describe their continual conflicts, their deep afflictions, their sad adversities, and the sinfulness of their hearts.

I can be like that. As I think about this response to life, I’ve decided it tends to draw attention to me. That is self-centered and ungodly. As Spurgeon says, if my soul is in a healthy state, I will joyously speak not about myself, but to the honor of my God. He brought me out of a sin-filled life and set my feet upon a rock. He has established my way, even put a new song in my mouth. I will praise Him. The Lord has done great things for me. How can I not be glad!

This is what comes from my heart when I spend these early morning hours in the Word and in prayer. Yes, there are trials, but God is merciful. He either delivers me out of them or gives grace and mercy that I might endure them.

Besides trials, I also have sins to contend with, and do so with sorrow. Yet I also have an all-sufficient Savior who overcomes my sin and delivers me from its dominion. Far better to point others to Him rather than me.

I cannot deny times of depression or humiliation either. However, my Savior has brought me safely through them, even to my profit. He truly does use all things for my good, developing a depth of character that I cannot claim. He somehow uses the tough times to reveal that Jesus is in me and that He supplies all that I need. Thanks to my Almighty Helper and Leader, I have been brought “out into a wealthy place.” Life is rich and full.

Our newspaper has a “venting” column, but I don’t want my life to be like that. In my humanness, I love to complain, yet God is teaching me to look at Him, not my problems. I notice now a few times where the deeper my troubles, the louder my thanks to God. As Spurgeon says, grief and sorrow cannot mar the melody of praise. As the psalmist says, “He has done great things for me, and I am glad.”

******************
What more can I say? This week has brought extremes of sorrow and joy, answered prayer and seeming reverses. Yet in all of this, You are God. You are in control and doing what I cannot see. I can hold Your hand and shout Hallelujah because no matter what is happening here, You remain the same. You love me and do great things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Elsie.