June 3, 2011

Humility


Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (Philippians 2:5–8)
Spurgeon’s reading for today blessed me so much that I am personalizing his words and asking God to keep them in my heart. . . .

Jesus is the great teacher of lowliness of heart. I daily need to learn of Him. I imagine the Master taking a towel and washing His disciples’ feet. As His follower, I must humble myself that way, as the Servant of servants. How can I be proud?

From the above verses, these three words are the compendium of His biography, “He humbled himself.” While on earth, He stripped off first one robe of honor and then another, until naked then nailed to the cross. There He emptied out His inmost self, pouring out his life blood, giving up for all, for me, until He was laid penniless in a borrowed grave. How low my Redeemer was brought. How then can I be proud?

I imagine myself at the foot of the cross where I count the red drops by which I have been cleansed. I see the crown of thorns, His scourged shoulders still gushing with crimson flow, His hands and feet given up to rough iron nails. I watch as He yields His whole self to mockery and scorn. I see His pain and the deepest sorrows of inward grief revealed in His ravaged body and hear Him cry out, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?”

At this point, if I would not lie prostrate before that cross, then I have never really seen it. If I am not humbled in the presence of Jesus, how could I claim to know Him? I was so lost that nothing could save me but the sacrifice of God’s only begotten Son. How can I be proud?

As I think of that, and of how Jesus stooped for me, I bow in lowliness at His feet. This sense of Christ’s amazing love has a greater effect to humble me than even being conscious of my own guilt.

**************
Lord, may Your Spirit move me to contemplate Calvary continually. This leaves no place for my arrogance and pride. Instead, I must humbly love You much because much has been forgiven me. Pride withers and dies beneath the cross. Keep me here, teach me here, then may I rise and carry the lessons of Calvary into the way I live my life.

No comments: