June 10, 2011

Grace equals zest for the ordinary

When Christ came into my life more than thirty-five years ago, I was living on a farm with my children. Keeping the house clean and caring for my family seemed a never-ending task. As a new Christian, I was grumbling about it even though I knew I shouldn’t.

On one of those long days, God spoke about my attitude. He said, “Do it for me.” He taught me something with those simple words. Motivation makes a huge difference. Doing ordinary chores for the King of all Creation changes how I feel about what I do.

Sometimes people complain that they are bored, or that life is tedious, or even that they have nothing to live for. Doing anything for our own pleasure can eventually wear out and get old. A bigger reason for living and a new motivation for doing tedious daily chores is needed.

This morning I woke with the attitude that I didn’t want to get up. The “same-old, same-old” was getting to me. Had I forgotten who I was living for? I must have because the Lord promptly gave me this from my devotional reading . . . 

For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living. (Romans 14:7–9)
We live to the Lord. I live to serve the Lord. He only whispered (sometimes I need Him to shout) but instantly, my attitude changed. Whatever I do today, doing it for Him makes an immense difference.

If that makes no sense, consider what it is like being in love. There is nothing you wouldn’t do for the one you love and each action is done in joyful delight. I am in love with Jesus Christ. Serving Him is delightful. Motivation changes everything.

***************
Lord, I’m dismayed at my forgetfulness. I left a newly baked cake on the counter last night without covering it. The dirty preparation bowls were still in the sink this morning. That is not my normal routine, but even worse is momentarily forgetting why I am here. You could have taken me to heaven when I first believed, but You didn’t. I remain here to live for You, to proclaim Your goodness in the land of the living. I’m not here to grumble about getting out of bed in the morning or about the routine chores of life. You have taught me that nothing is boring when consecrated to You. Thank You for recharging my motivations and renewing my zest for life — on this very ordinary day.

(Image source)

No comments: