June 7, 2011

Godly Zeal

The women in Sunday’s Bible class had an interesting discussion about the way Christians treat those outside the church and the way we treat one another. We decided that sometimes we get it backwards.

We know that Jesus gives us power to turn away from sin and live godly lives. We also know that before Christ came into our lives, we did not have that power. Why then do we tell unbelievers to stop sinning?

We also read verses that tell us to purify our lives, even to rebuke one another when any of us get entangled in sin. We are supposed to love one another, both by tender care and by caring enough that every one of us becomes the godly people the Lord wants us to be. Why then do we overlook sin among ourselves? Jesus doesn’t do that.

Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. (Revelation 3:19–22)
In other verses, God says that if we are not disciplined by Him, then we are not His children. He explains that a good father disciplines the children he loves. He cares that we are not caught in the trap of sin because He knows how much harm it does to our lives. If we love Him, then we also desire what He desires. We want to be obedient also, for we know that this is the best way to live.

God wants us to be zealous too. This may conjure up an image of someone on a street corner yelling, “Turn or burn!” but this is not what zealous means. It is related to envy, but in a good sense. Zeal is to be passionate about godliness, purity and living a Christlike life. Zeal cares about this for self and for others. To the zealous, sin is our enemy and we focus our energy on getting rid of it. Zeal wants all of God’s people growing to be more like Him.

As for those outside the kingdom of God, a zealous Christian also wants to see them set free from sin’s penalty and power, but true zeal understands that Christ is the solution, not self-effort. No one can conquer sin without Jesus. Our first message to them is an introduction to Jesus, not an impossible demand to be godly without Him.

But for those who already know Jesus, we still must yield to Him before we can conquer sin. When we do that, we receive the promises He makes in the above verses. Note that He is speaking to the churches, so these promises are for Christians. He says that when He is given full dominion, we will experience intimacy with Him in both His presence and in His authority. However, that requires that we first listen for His reproof and yield to His discipline. His rewards are for those who repent and are zealous about getting rid of sin.

Even though the above verses are directed to Christians, the invitation includes anyone who wants Jesus in their life. He will forgive sin and cleanse it. He will come in and fellowship with them. Yet those who want that must also expect that He will continue to reprove sin and discipline them. This is part of being a Christian. God cares about the lives of His people. He hates evil and ungodliness. He is zealous for us. With Him at the helm, we also should have that same zeal.

***************
Father, sometimes my zeal lags or is held in check because I sense the reluctance of others to feel that same desire to be rid of sin and live to please You. Forgive me for letting lukewarm mediocrity replace the fervor that You put in my life. You hate sin and are diligent to expose and remove it from my heart. You want to change the way I live and desire my cooperation. May I gladly give it to you, keeping the door wide open and the table set. Give me ears to hear You — always.

No comments: