June 8, 2011

Exceedingly abundantly above . . .

A family member had a need so I promised to pray. God’s answer came and as she said, it was an odd answer. I told her that His answers always were a bit odd in that He usually does beyond what we expect.

When Moses led a grumbling bunch of people through the wilderness, they complained about the food. Moses prayed and God had compassion and his tears. He promised to supply meat for the people.

But Moses said, “The people among whom I am number six hundred thousand on foot, and you have said, ‘I will give them meat, that they may eat a whole month!’ Shall flocks and herds be slaughtered for them, and be enough for them? Or shall all the fish of the sea be gathered together for them, and be enough for them?” And the Lord said to Moses, “Is the Lord’s hand shortened? Now you shall see whether my word will come true for you or not.” (Numbers 11:21–23)
Moses thought that they might have to kill their livestock, but that would not be enough. In his wildest dreams, maybe they could catch some fish, but no matter what he could imagine, nothing would cover this demand for meat. How would God fulfill His promise?

Even so, Moses trusted God and God kept His word. He sent quail by the hundreds and the people ate until they became sick of it, a judgment on their lack of faith.

Now, after God has revealed Himself in Jesus Christ and raised Him from the dead, God’s people still struggle with how He will answer our prayers. Just like the disciples when told to feed the multitudes with a meager five loaves and two fishes, I sometimes look at my own limited resources and inadequacies and think that it will not happen.

Or even when I recognize that I cannot do this thing myself (whatever it is), I wonder how God can supply that need or answer that prayer. My imagination might run with it, but whatever I come up with, He always surprises me. His answers are often odd — but they are always perfect.

****************
God, of all the things I love about You, Your surprises are high on the list. It is easy to worship You because You keep Your promises and You can do far more than I or anyone else can imagine. You are an awesome God. 
Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20–21)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your blog. I've been sad and worried because of a 'big' need I have, but you've reminded me that the God we serve is much bigger! God bless you.