June 19, 2011

Daily directions

Using someone’s devotional writings can be positive in that God gives me new light and understanding from the way other people express their love for Him. A few write things that I do not understand or that miss the need of my heart, at least on that day. However, the reading from My Utmost for His Highest hits the target today. It affirms what God has said to me many times and gives me encouragement as I prepare for this day. The following restates it in my words.
(Jesus) said . . . “Do you love me?. . . . Feed my sheep” (John 21:17).
Jesus did not tell Peter to convert people to his way of thinking, but to look after His disciples. He was to make sure that they get nourished in the knowledge of their Lord.

I used to count as service what I did, calling it Christian work, but Jesus calls service what I am to Him, not what I do for Him. Discipleship is based on devotion to Jesus Christ, not on adherence to a belief or a creed.

Jesus said I am to come to Him and “hate” all else, or I cannot be His disciple. He does not argue or push me. He simply says that if I would be His disciple, I must be devoted to Him. He is the source of my service and the basis for what I do. I’m not moved primarily by anything else.

Many Christians substitute devotion to Jesus with their belief in a creed or a particular ideal and become devoted to causes. So few are deeply devoted to Jesus Himself because it’s easier to rally around the cause He started than to Him. Perhaps the world’s attitude rubs off on us in that Jesus remains a source of deep offense to the educated mind of today. Whatever the reason, many who follow Him hold back and are content to know Him as a buddy or a friend, no more.

Yet Jesus sets the example. His obedience was always motivated by the will of His Father, not by the needs of men or His own will. This is important. If I am devoted to the cause of humanity only, I will soon be exhausted and come to the place where my love will falter. On the other hand, if I love Jesus Christ personally and passionately, I can serve humanity even if people treat me like a doormat or a slave. Our salvation is the natural outcome of this kind of obedience. 

Devotion to Jesus means that I can say with Him, “Not my will, but thine be done.” For that, I must continually bear my cross daily, dying to my own will that I might do His will. 

Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him. (John 12:24–26)
As Chambers says, this focus on obedience to Jesus is an unobtrusive life. Like a grain of wheat, I am to fall to the ground and die to my own desires and passions, but because of the life of Christ in me, He can cause me to spring up and alter the whole landscape.
******************
Lord, Your directions are simple; leave my own ideas and listen to You. I’m to love you, daily die to self, and daily pay attention. Today I might be feeding sheep. Tomorrow I might be doing something else, but whatever I do, keep my ears open to Your words and my heart willing to do whatever You ask.

No comments: