June 4, 2011

Contentment is a gift from God

Mae West said, “I’ve been rich and I’ve been poor. Believe me, I’d rather be rich.” Jack Handey said, “I'd rather be rich than stupid.”

Does contentment or being smart depend on money? My experience says not. I’ve been poor and in that poverty began a relationship with Jesus Christ. My finances didn’t improve for a long time, but my level of contentment changed immediately.

However, Handey’s quote seems to compare apples with oranges. Wealth may belong to the clever people of the world, but how do you measure stupid? Or how can stupid be equated with wealth? Even those with money and a high IQ can do foolish things. On the other hand, the Bible says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom” (Proverbs 9:10), putting smart into a different category. It is more about Who you know that what you know. Wisdom begins with my attitude toward the all-wise God.

The Bible says a few things about contentment too, mostly that it is also based on knowing God — who is not only all-wise, but the source of all things. His Word equates contentment with godliness.

Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. (1 Timothy 6:6–8)
Notice that this says there is great gain in godliness with contentment. Take away godliness and the mind can be filled with conflict, doubt, guilt and a sense of never getting what is wanted. Some people try turning off all their “I wants” so they have a form of contentment, but without God or  godliness. There is no gain in that resignation form of contentment.

The verses that speak to me the most of godly contentment links it to money, but this isn’t about how much or how little I have. Instead, it is about my attitude toward it.

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?” (Hebrews 13:5–6)
People quip that money cannot buy happiness, only the things that make you happy, but they have it twisted. Things do not last. We bring nothing into life and go out with nothing. The happiness experienced with having stuff may be real, but it does not even compare to the deep joy of being content with whatever I do have.

This contentment grows out of the certain knowledge that God will provide whatever I need. I had to learn that if my possessions are destroyed or stolen, He will take care of me. I didn’t think this in the beginning of my Christian journey, but I know it now.

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:11–13)
The key to contentment is knowing Jesus Christ and His power to provide, but this takes time to learn. In the trials of life, He reveals His faithfulness. In the everyday routine of life, He does the same. I used to get bored with some aspects of those ordinary days, boredom being a form of discontent. However, spending even those days relying on the Creator of the universe makes routine not only easy to take, but even exciting.
*************
Jesus, over the years You have taught me that Your strength is available to me when I feel weak, tired, bored, or even able but not interested. You never leave me, always help me, and give me the sense that my world is right because You are in it with me. For this I rejoice — and am content.

No comments: