June 13, 2011

Balance

American musician John Mellencamp said, “I know there’s a balance in life. I see it every time I swing by it.” English director Richard Eyre said, “Balance is the enemy of art.” Is balance possible? Is it even important? How does it apply to the way I live?

Personally, I agree with Eyre concerning the most elemental aspect of visual art. Symmetry might be stable and calming, but I find symmetrical compositions boring. I rarely arrange my decor in formal balance and have never painted a picture that way. Some of my quilts are “balanced” but I prefer them otherwise.

In the Christian life, balance is often considered. We think about pastors who spend so much time involved in ministry that their family suffers, and say that their lives are not balanced. Those who get so involved in worldly affairs, such as a hobby or even their job, that their spiritual life is neglected also are thought to be unbalanced.

I’ve noticed that balance is often measured by time or in terms of quantity, too much or too little. Is this a biblical concept? In one way, it is not. I cannot have too much of Jesus Christ in my life. I should never try to balance sin and holiness. The Bible tells me to “pray without ceasing” which is excessive. It also tells me not to complain, but be thankful, even extremely thankful, again, more extremes.

On the other hand, Solomon who has been considered one of the wisest men that ever lived, had an idea about balance that Christians need to consider. We would do well to follow his lead on this one.

Remove falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches — feed me with the food allotted to me; lest I be full and deny You, and say, “Who is the LORD?” Or lest I be poor and steal, and profane the name of my God. (Proverbs 30:8–9)
This man knew the danger of extremes when it comes to money. Too much and he would not feel the neediness that would draw him to God. Too little and he would feel the desperation that pulls him to taking matters into his own hands. He wanted balance rather than those temptations to sin.

Like Solomon with money, each of us has something that determines to take the throne in our hearts. For some, it might be money also, or self-effort, or popularity or personal comfort. This adversary might change from day to day, even hour to hour, but at a deeper level, our battle with usurpers often happens against one adversary at a time.

For me, it has been that desire to achieve, to do well. However, early in life I learned that no matter how well I do, there is someone who can do better. So rather than give up and never try, I’ve fought to find a balance. How well is good enough? And how do I know when the desire to do my best becomes an obsession that is determined to push Christ off the throne of my heart and take His place as central and most important?

Solomon wanted a middle point. Riches were too much. Poverty was too much. For me, is winning a prize now and then and not winning now and then the way to being balanced? Or does it go deeper than that?

I’m thinking deeper. For me, a balance regarding excellence isn’t about human approval, winning awards, or achieving some sort of status in an endeavor. It is about my source of strength. This morning I also read another passage of Scripture. It says this. . . . 

Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. (John 15:4–5)
Balance is about having a fruitful life that pleases God (achievement), but this cannot happen without the power of Christ in my life. The achievement then is not about my efforts but about my surrender to His will. The results of abiding are not up to me. He could take me to great accomplishment that is noticed and applauded, or He could use me in simple, less visible ways that even I might not notice. Jesus is not concerned about balancing great deeds with humble service. He is concerned that I just trust and obey Him, leaving the results up to Him.
**************
Lord, the past few days have been most interesting. You tested me severely and I felt so weak and unable to do anything. This brought me to abiding, even clinging to You as my Vine. Then things happened that I can call achievements, but know that they happened because of You, not me.

Your Word says that You perfect Your strength in our weakness. This is like the extremes on a balance beam. It isn’t about finding a middle, but about having both.

In all of this, You are shaping my ideas about balance. It can be important, but whether it is or not depends on what You say, not on quotes by others or conventional ideas about it. I’m learning that as long as I abide in You, I might swing to extremes, or I might not. No matter what I think about balance, You will enable me to land in a good place, a place of spiritual creativity that pleases You.

Thank You for bringing truth to me each day and helping me to think about where I need to be — always abiding in You — and focusing on what You want from me — total dependence, regardless where that pendulum is going.

No comments: