June 12, 2011

Bad Dreams

My dreams are usually funny. Sometimes I wake myself laughing. Last night I had the opposite kind of dream, a threatening event that woke me with fear and anxiety in my gut. I kept telling myself it was only a dream, but it was close enough to actual past experiences to bring back their painful and bitter taste. As I showered and dressed, I was praying for something from the Lord to settle my heart. Again, He answered immediately with this. . . .
Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27)
The world’s version of peace is life with no conflict nor danger. While Jesus can do that, His peace runs deeper. It is the sense of having the blessing of God in the middle of whatever is happening. It is that “peace that passes understanding” that Paul wrote about to the Philippians. It is calm in a storm, an unexpected and lovely peace that He has given me many times.

Jesus reminds me that His peace is about my heart, a far different assurance than a promise that nothing bad will happen or that my bad dream will never come true. His peace is about knowing that He is in control, and that He can use even the worst of things to produce in me the best of Himself.

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. (Romans 8:28–29)
I am in the family of God, a child that will grow to be like my Brother, Jesus Christ. He uses the Word of God and the stuff of life to produce new thinking and new priorities. He tells me, “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God” (Romans 12:2).

The “all things” He can use for my good include both painful dreams and painful realities. In these, He wants me to remember His promises and be obedient. I could go into panic mode in fearful situations, or into manipulative mode should someone or some things threaten my well-being. However, He says to trust Him and do what He says. This includes “letting” my heart be untroubled, unafraid, trusting Him to use all things for my good. Peace is here for me. I need to let it rule, not the opposites.

Toward the end of Romans 8, Paul gives this challenge, and I’ve used his words as application for this morning’s angst. 

What then shall I say to these things? If God is for me, who can be against me? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give me all things? (Romans 8:31–32)
Let not my heart be troubled. He did not go on vacation. He has not left His throne. He is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all I can ask or imagine. I have nothing to fear because Jesus is Lord.
*****************
Emotions can be distressing and even damaging to my relationship with You, Lord. My adversary whispers “what if. . . .” and sends my mind into places that put my stomach in knots. You whisper, “I am with you always” and pull me back to the solid assurance of Your mercy and grace. You want me to enjoy Your peace, not fret about anything real or imagined. Guard my heart with truth. Reality and dreams can sometimes be difficult to deal with, but truth surpasses every fear. Besides, I’d rather You tested my trust with a dream than having the same thing happen when I am awake. You are good. Keep my mind on the way You think, not on the fears and imaginations of a worldly and untrusting imagination.

No comments: