May 20, 2011

Using the Bible to pray

This morning I asked God to show me how to pray for those on my “Friday list” and He offered me this verse.
Wondrously show your steadfast love, O Savior of those who seek refuge from their adversaries at your right hand. (Psalm 17:7)
This could be translated as, “Distinguish Yourself as Deliverer for those who hope in You at Your right hand, to rescue them from those who oppose them.”

I glance at my prayer list. Most of these people have few enemies in the sense normally given to that word. They are safe from tyrants and terrorists (but not all are) yet all have a common enemy. Jesus called him the Liar and a destroyer who wants to deceive people and bring them to eternal destruction, if not visible disaster in this life. I’ve known for a long time that my prayers are not to persuade God, but to oppose this evil one who opposes good and all that God wants for us.

Satan’s biggest lies are about the nature and character of God. He suggested to Eve that God did not want the best for her. People still hear that whisper and are duped to think God does not care.

This Liar tells people God does not exist, when often it is their idea of God that is false — and only that imaginary god does not exist. He tells people that God wants them rich, or that He is a doting God who overlooks evil and will not punish anyone. This enemy also says Jesus is not a real person, only a lovely idea, a concept we can follow. He tells us that sin is not so bad or that everyone does it; it is not a big deal.

There is more, but this is enough. I know what direction to take with my prayers today. My enemy will not like it, but he never does. That is why one of his lies is that God does not hear and answer, nor will He show His lovingkindness to those who hide close to Him, to those who pray. That lie will not stop me from seeking His face.

****************
Lord, I’m so aware of Satan always trying to keep me from talking with You. You have distinguished yourself to me as the Deliverer, the only One who can rescue me from this opponent who is the opposite of all that You are. As I pray today for others, may You show Your steadfast love to them as well, and rescue them from every lie and powerful force that sets itself against Your will for their lives.

No comments: