May 3, 2011

Trying harder does not work

In our human independence, the tendency to think “if I try harder . . . I can overcome” makes little of the power of God to simply purge sin from our lives when we confess it.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
I’ve said it many times; this is probably the most important verse in the Bible for Christians battling with sin. It puts the onus on us only to confess. The rest of the victory belongs to God. He forgives the sin, meaning He sends it away, puts it off the ledger, does not hold it against us and applies to our lives all other descriptions of forgiveness. He does this because He is faithful and because Jesus already died for that sin. It has been paid for, atoned for. Confess and it is forgiven.

But there is more. He also cleanses us from all unrighteousness. The word means just what it says. He is faithful to make clean, purge, purify my life. This is huge. I don’t try harder to stop sinning. When I confess it to God, He somehow cleans me up.

Yesterday I confessed the food-craving thing to God as a selfish desire for pleasure when I should desire Him. I’ve confessed concerning this before, but more the action of self-indulgence rather than the motivation behind it. For the first evening in a long while, I had no battle at all because my desire to eat when full did not happen.

This may not be the end of this war. Jesus did say that in this world I will have trouble. If Satan and the sin around me are not battle enough, I will also struggle against my old sinful nature. However, even one day free from that fight is a reason to celebrate.

When I read Spurgeon’s selections for today, the morning devotional was based on this verse, “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33). How timely. Then the evening reading followed with this passage:

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah (Psalm 46:1–3)
My heart said amen and immediately I wanted to personalize it with a rewrite.
God is my hiding place and strength, always with me even when I am in trouble and being tempted. Therefore, I will not fear though the pantry beckons, though mountains of temptations are moved across my line of sight, though my cravings roar with “rise and eat” and though I’m distracted by the pleasures they offer.
The next two verses say, “There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High. God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns” (Psalm 46:4–5). My rewrite says,
There is a source whose pleasure makes glad the child of God. I am the holy habitation of the Most High. God lives in the heart of me; I shall not be moved; God will help me when morning dawns and whenever this or any other temptation comes.
**********************
Oh Lord God, as 1 John says, You forgive and cleanse because You are faithful. I trip and fall all the time, but You are always with me. You forgive me, pick me up and move me to start again. May I never underestimate the power that comes from You and Your grace — I just need to stop trying harder and simply confess my sin.

No comments: