May 9, 2011

Remembering what I have, not moping about what I don’t have

When negative things happen and my mind turns inward, I need to read passages from God’s Word like this one:
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. (Ephesians 1:3–6)
The entire first chapter of Ephesians is rich with what God has done for me. These verses give an overview that turns my attention to blessing God for what I have instead of feeling sorry for myself for what is missing.

They also remind me that I have all spiritual blessings in the heavenly realm. Life is not perfect here, but in the imperfections and trials of life, God’s goal is to bring me to the holiness and blamelessness that He says I already have! In other words, becoming a Christian is like being drafted into the army; I am a soldier, but from day one, it has been boot camp. I have to learn how to think and act like what I already am, and remember that He is able to use all things, even the negative things, to bring me to maturity.

This passage also reminds me that God selected me to be His adopted child before He even created the world. In His mind, I was His from the very beginning. He did this that I might bring praise to Him and declare the wonder of His grace. No matter what happens to me, this isn’t about me. God is good and I am to declare it.

The next part of chapter one is also rich. It gives more detail of what God has done and who I am in His Son.

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1:7–14)
I am redeemed and forgiven. Sin is no longer separating me from God or from eternal life. This is a done deal. God’s purpose is to use what He has done and is doing to unite me to Christ and bring Him glory. Sin and self-pity do not do that.

Reassurance is repeated in the last couple of verses. My salvation and future with God in eternity were sealed by the Holy Spirit. This sealing is described in the same terms as a legal document is sealed with wax and verified with the guarantor’s stamp. Instead of wax, God pooled the blood of Christ over the promises He made to my soul, then marked it with His own Spirit who lives in me — so that I would know that I belong to Him forever. This seal affirms that what He said He would do, will be done. I do not have possession of my inheritance yet, but it is guaranteed by God Himself and I can praise Him for that.

************************
Father God who knows all things, I’m glad You use the trials of life to produce purity in me. Keep my focus on You and Your glory. Make all negative things fade in their ability to turn my heart inward. Instead, use them to mark me with grace. I want to be like Jesus, not scarred with self-pity. Help me keep my eyes on You and what You have done, not look at the hurtful doings of people around me. I want to abide in You and glorify You. Fill me with Your Spirit so I can do that today.

No comments: