May 5, 2011

Reasons to believe

Someone in my family occasionally says about Christianity, “Who needs it?” She is convinced that people can get along “just fine without that.”

The women in my Bible study group have talked about the reasons people give for rejecting Christ. This morning I’m thinking about good reasons for doing the opposite. Why say no when God offers all this?

Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the LORD. (Proverbs 16:20)
Everyone wants a good, happy life. God doesn’t promise a rose garden, but He does give joy to those who trust Him. This joy is not based on circumstances. It wells up from inside and can be there even when life is crashing down all around us. How precious.
I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you. (Jeremiah 31:3)
Another deep desire is to be loved. Human love is great, but it does come and go. God’s love is deeper. He says nothing can separate us from it (Romans 8) and this verse says it lasts forever. He also “shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8). Few people will die for their friends; Christ died for His enemies. No one loves me like He loves me.
I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)
Another deep human desire is competence. People want to be able to do well in whatever they do. Paul, and all those who love and serve Jesus, discover that God adds a new dimension to their resume — the Holy Spirit. With His power, abilities change. So does effectiveness. He supplies competence.
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)
God takes care of His people in every way. While this verse does not promise He will give us all our wants, He does supply whatever we need. He knows those needs before we do and whether physical, mental, emotional or spiritual, He covers every one. His resources are vast.
For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people” (2 Corinthians 6:14–16).
The promise that blesses me the most is that God is my closest friend. He lives in me and walks with me. He says I belong to Him. I am accepted and have that deep sense of belonging. I am never alone or lonely. Knowing Him is the best thing that ever happened to me.
*******************
Lord, the only reason I can think of why people reject You is that their independence and pride is greater than their desire to have You supply all their deepest needs. At times, I struggle with the same pride and understand its power. However, Your goodness and love is more powerful. As I pray for all of my family and friends who do not know you, I ask You to remove the barriers and help each one see that You are a loving and merciful God who longs to be their Source, Resource, Savior, Redeemer and their best Friend forever.

No comments: