May 8, 2011

Moving up the learning curve

Today marks our 40th wedding anniversary. When we got married, we thought we knew one another, but after this many years, we realize that knowing someone takes a lifetime.

When Jesus Christ came into my life just over 40 years ago, it was an introduction. If I thought I knew Him then, obviously after this many years, I am still getting to know Him too. He shows me facets about Himself that early on I could not see. As I walk with Him, He reveals new delights, new wonders about how He thinks and about His amazing grace.

He is also showing me that the more I agree with Him and rely on what He says, the more peace I have in my life. Trials come and go, but obedience levels things out, and often, obedience begins with agreement.

Agree with God, and be at peace; thereby good will come to you. Receive instruction from his mouth, and lay up his words in your heart. (Job 22:21–22)
Yesterday’s obedience brought surprising results. God showed me a side of Himself that I’d not seen before. I learned something about grace as He showed me more of His goodness and why grace is so powerful. Enemies can become friends, and God’s grace can overthrow many barriers.
********************
Lord, thank You for all that You do to bring peace and goodness into my life. Today is Mother’s Day as well as a milestone in our marriage. I miss my mother and her gentle spirit, yet her influence remains. Some of what my mother was like has helped make these forty years good years. You gave me much instruction through her.

You teach me from Your Word and I am thankful for that also. You are always right on, as my son would say. You never make mistakes and your instruction always produces peace. Good comes to me because You are good. Thank You for Your blessings on our marriage and for Your blessings on my life — and for grace that I am able to learn how to agree with You.

No comments: