May 15, 2011

Justified, a reason to party

Last night our children invited our friends to celebrate our wedding anniversary with us. The house was full of people, laughter and good food. It was a great night, but too short. People had to go home and we stayed much later than sane people should stay up. I don’t normally go for a ‘short’ devotional time, but this morning, God gives me something to think about that is simple and straightforward. 
Let it be known to you therefore, brothers, that through this man (Jesus) forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and by him everyone who believes is freed from everything from which you could not be freed by the law of Moses. (Acts 13:38–39)
The word translated “freed” in the ESV is literally “justified” which is not as easily understood. Some explain it by saying that God treats those who believe in Jesus Christ “just as if I’d” never sinned. Spurgeon explains it well and restate it in my words.

Justification is the result of faith and was given to me the moment Christ came into my life, the same moment I accepted Him — and He is all that I need to save me from sin. I was and am fully justified, no less than all those who now wear white robes and are with God in heaven. The thief on the cross was fully justified the moment that he turned in faith to Jesus. Paul was fully justified the moment Jesus encountered him on the road to Damascus. 

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)
God accepted me the moment Christ took me into His kingdom by faith. I am pardoned fully, all past, present and future sin is put under the blood of Christ. I stand accepted in His sight as though I had never been guilty.
****************
Lord, last night we joyfully celebrated a milestone in our marriage. What a delightful time You gave us. Yet as I read this and think about being justified, this becomes an even greater joy to my heart. Because of Your grace, the joy and freedom of eternity are already mine. It started the day Jesus came into my heart. For those of us who believe, this justification is a current reason to celebrate. It is also our future hope and expectation that when we step from this life through the door to heaven, the party will go into full swing and never stop.

No comments: