May 14, 2011

His last will and testament has been read

Before my mother-in-law died, she made her son and daughter joint owners of everything she had. Because of her forethought, her estate was settled in less than a month without much legal help.

For some reason, my father didn’t like the idea of joint ownership so his estate was in his name only, or listed as “tenants in common” with our mother. He left half of some of it to her, and the remainder to his children, two of whom were executors. Because of his decisions, the courts took more than two years to figure out that everything was on the up and up. A lawyer wound up with a big chunk.

I doubt this is why God chose joint ownership over tenants in common, but these two examples provide interesting comparisons concerning my inheritance from God. 

The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. (Romans 8:16–17)
In these verses, the term “fellow heirs” could also be translated as “joint heirs.”  Tenants-in-common mean that each owns half — joint ownership means that each own all. That is, all of whatever belongs to Christ belongs to all of His children.

While not completely parallel, the Bible’s use of these legal terms helps me understand more of what Christ’s death means. Yes, He died for my sin so that I do not have to bear its penalty, but He also died that I might inherit a legacy. 

Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant. For where a will is involved, the death of the one who made it must be established. For a will takes effect only at death, since it is not in force as long as the one who made it is alive. (Hebrews 9:15–17, italics for emphasis)
I’m not good with legal talk, but I understand from this that I could not receive this inheritance from God unless God died. This death of God the Son happened that I might be “justified by his grace (and) become an heir according to the hope of eternal life” (Titus 3:7).

While the Bible speaks of this inheritance mainly as eternal life, those verses from Romans 8 says we are joint heirs meaning ALL that is Christ’s is ours — His eternal life and His glory, but also His suffering. I like the idea of inheriting what belongs to Jesus, but am not too excited about this part of my inheritance. However, this isn’t about being crucified, even though that could happen. It is more about the things Jesus suffered because He was holy and a rebuke to the lives of those around Him. People were convicted of their own unholy lives. He plainly told them that their religious activities were tainted. In fact, from the most devout to the worst sinners, Jesus says all of us fall short. We cannot earn or deserve anything from God. Everyone needs His forgiveness and new life or we will perish.

Tell people that and see what happens. Oh, some will take it eagerly, but many will give anything from a blank stare to physical abuse. Jesus suffered this entire range of response. People followed Him for the wrong reasons, laughed at and mocked Him, and questioned all He did. His disciples pledged their allegiance, but eventually abandoned Him. He suffered everything any human can suffer, but never retaliated or stood up for Himself. Being the Son of God was not all roses, nor is being a child of God. As a joint heir with Jesus, I have His life and will share in His glory, but I will suffer some of the things He suffered, including being misunderstood, laughed at, and ignored.

Therein lies the grace of God. Rarely do His children suffer ALL that Jesus suffered. If we are joint heirs, it seems we should, but He does not give us that burden. He gives all of those benefits described as our eternal inheritance, but for most, the suffering side of it is shared in smaller ways.

***************
Lord, just as I cannot imagine the fullness of Your glory, I also cannot imagine the fullness of Your suffering. My share is minuscule compared to what You endured for my sake. I’m so glad that You share with me that ability to keep my eyes on the outcome. I can “look to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of my faith” because, “for the joy that was set before You, You endured the cross, despised the shame. . . .” Now Your are “seated at the right hand of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:2, personalized). Because You fully share all You have with me, I am also able to think about the joy and glory that are coming. That ability is also my inheritance, but the best of Your legacy to me is simply You and all that You are.

No comments: