May 11, 2011

He is here, now and always

On the farm where I grew up, we had a few milk cows. When their calves were old enough, they had to be weaned from their mothers. Neither cow nor calf were happy about that process. Both bawled and walked the fence, one on either side. Sometimes their attempts to reunite damaged the fence. However, this process was necessary. Soon the calves fed on their own and the cows went on producing milk for the family.

Sunday I shared with my Bible study class that all my life I felt like God has been weaning me from everything else but Himself. This is not only about sin, but about anything that I depend on apart from Him. The principle behind this weaning is applied here to money:

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?” (Hebrews 13:5–6)
In this culture, money is a god, defining “god” or idol as whatever is relied upon as a source of happiness and well-being. Many think that money will do it all, yet the Bible warns not to love it and not to make it an object of my affection.

I don’t know who said, “I’ve been rich and I’ve been poor, and I’d rather be rich,” but I have known both poverty and riches, and have discovered that the presence of God is a more important reality. He produces contentment and His presence is the greatest asset in my life. He helps me in every way so that I need not fear anything because of His promise to be with me.

It isn’t only money. As the verses above say, it is possible to fear what others can do to me. I’ve depended on their approval and acceptance, on the love of family and friends, being understood and useful, and a host of other things. When the tests come and those resources are taken away, I usually bawl like a calf and wander back and forth trying to find a way through this fence that separates me from what I want. Yet God says He is with me. He is enough. At the times of testing I may protest that being weaned is not much fun, yet Jesus is here. He does not let me down. He is with me in all situations, particularly when I obey Him in evangelism and teaching others:

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age. (Matthew 28:19–20)
This means that if people reject the message (usually by rejecting the messenger), He is with me. Should my teaching fall on deaf ears, He is still with me. By saying these things, He suggests to me that no matter any negative human receptivity, He is enough.
*********************
Lord, the events of these days make me realize that I live in a society that is hostile to truth and to the Gospel. They blame You for their sin, call it by other names, then tell me I am “un-Christian” for not agreeing with them. At times I feel alone and definitely on the other side of a fence. However, You are with me. While I don’t like alienation, this is nothing like what was done to You — You were rejected and abandoned — they even killed You. 
Consider (Jesus) who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. (Hebrews 12:3–4)
Even as I experience the rejection and hostility of others, I recognize that this is because I belong to You. Not only that, You use this for my good, to make me more like Jesus. Instead of fighting back, You want me to lean into Your loving presence and rejoice that You will never leave me or forsake me. 

Clipart

No comments: