May 4, 2011

First things first

While “don’t put the cart before the horse” has become a cliché along with “the tail is wagging the dog,” both refer to an important principle; avoid reversing the accepted order of things.

In the Bible, some things do come first, particularly in the issue of pleasing God. Almost universally, people assume that a person gets right with God and gets to heaven by doing good things. However, God’s Word says that we cannot do any good (good as defined by God) until we are first “born again” or have been regenerated. Until we are made new, or given new life from Him, our so-called good deeds are tainted by sin and selfish motivations. Notice that this order is outlined in these verses, 

Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God... (1 Peter 1:22–23)
The operative word in these verses is “since.” It shows the order — first new life, then obedience and purity. The “horse” pulls the cart. Clearly, the power that makes “sincere brotherly love” possible is the fact of being “born again” or having new life. This happens “through” the Word of God.

“Born again” is not a popular term among other religious groups. Further, it has been misused to describe everything from politics to hair shampoo. But it is a biblical term. Jesus used it first when He described criteria for entrance into His kingdom. He was talking to a religious leader, someone who thought that he was already on God’s side. However, his conversation with Jesus went a different direction than he may have expected. 

Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’” (John 3:3–7)
In a recent conversation with a woman from a mainline denomination, I asked what she thought about the idea of being born again. She said, “I know it is in the Bible, but I don’t think it is necessary for everyone to get to heaven.”

This is opposite and contradictory to Jesus’ words. He said that without this spiritual new birth, no one could see or enter God’s kingdom. Peter affirms this by saying that love and obedience flow out of a reborn person’s heart. This is not what anyone does to earn the favor of God, but this goodness is the result of having new life that comes from Him.

*********************
Each day, Lord, I am aware of the inadequacy of my old nature. I cannot love and serve You apart from the new life You have given me. At first, this seemed odd. I wondered if the “cart” would go anywhere. As my old abilities and strengths became weaker, I felt powerless to do good things. Yet You showed me that my old life with its abilities and motivations are unacceptable on their own. The new life You gave me changes all that. I am a new person, even “Your workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which You prepared beforehand that I should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10, personalized).

I’m not always aware that You are doing something through me, but I do know the difference between my old nature trying to be good and this new nature, the result of new birth, that does not have to try — goodness is simply there. How amazing!

You make all things new. When that newness shows up, I am often surprised and always blessed and humbled. I know that putting the cart before the horse does not work. I know that the tail does not wag the dog. I also know that even the most devout Christian cannot move, or live, or serve You apart from abiding in You. You make things happen. You pull the cart. Apart from You, I am nothing and can do nothing. Bless Your name.

No comments: