April 14, 2011

Walk by faith, not by sight

My mother had this wonderful way of accepting whatever life dealt her without resentment toward the unpleasant, or gloating over providential bounty. She would say, “Well, we must need it or we wouldn’t be getting it.”

I thought of her as I looked out the window this morning. On a day when tulips should be blooming, we are experiencing a whiteout blizzard. The wind blows snow almost horizontally. Even though most of winter’s huge drifts and snow piles are melted, it seems as if the season is starting all over again. Mom, do we need this? Where is spring?

My question is really asking God, but I know that if I complain about the weather, I am complaining about His sovereign rule. He knows what is best for us, even when it snows in spring or rains in winter. No matter the adversity, He is in charge and He knows what I need.

Spurgeon writes on similar lines. He says that no matter what our lot in life, those who love the Lord are blessed.

Tell the righteous that it shall be well with them, for they shall eat the fruit of their deeds. Woe to the wicked! It shall be ill with him, for what his hands have dealt out shall be done to him. (Isaiah 3:10–11)
Part of His blessing is the ability to be thankful and regardless of the weather, I have much to be thankful for. I am well fed, and even if not, as a believer in Jesus, I can feast on the wonders of who He is and what He has done. He has given me the Bread of life.

I have a closet full of clothes, but even if all were mere rags, I wear the imputed righteousness of Christ, a spiritual robe that covers my sin. He also calls these the garments of praise, and when I praise God, my heart is filled with joy.

We live in a nice home, but better than that, we are ‘in Christ’ where our security is not just for now, but for eternity. Jesus says this of those who abide or live in Him:

If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. (John 15:7–11)
This means that He blesses with answered prayer, a fruitful life, the assurance of His love and fullness of joy! How much more could I want?

Relationships and marriage are wonderful, yet the Bible says I am united to Christ in a bond that even death cannot break. My intimacy with Him is like no other friendship. Not only that, He provides for me, guides me, and protects me from anything that would harm me. He also filters life’s events and uses “all things for my good” that I might become more like Him. This is blessing beyond all earthly delights.

It is well with the righteous because of divine authority; He says so. His mouth speaks these comforting assurances in trials and daily circumstances. A snowstorm or worse might tell me life is a disaster, but I praise God for faith. He enables me to believe Him, even when all else seems to contradict Him. The Word says the righteous are blessed at all times. Therefore, even when I cannot see it or feel it, I am blessed.

***************
Oh Father, Your divine authority gives me more confidence than my eyes and feelings and certainly more than the good things in life. What You say is truth that goes beyond my understanding. When life seems perplexing, You are still in control. As I wait on You, I’m always surprised and delighted when You reveal even a small part of Your plan. Whom You bless is blessed indeed because You have proven to me over and over that what You say is always more certain than what I see.

No comments: