April 15, 2011

This journey includes wilderness

Most have read the familiar poem, “Footprints” that describes the discovery of how God carried the author through the rough spots of life. Certainly those times are when we most feel the need to be carried. However, the longer I am a follower of Jesus Christ, the more I realize that being carried is for every day and every situation.
The LORD is the strength of his people; he is the saving refuge of his anointed. Oh, save your people and bless your heritage! Be their shepherd and carry them forever. (Psalm 28:8–9)
David wrote these words. He was a capable leader and King, yet he knew that God was his source of strength and his hiding place in trouble. He also knew how badly all God’s people need His salvation and shepherding. Without Him, we are like sheep that have gone astray.

David also knew that sometimes a shepherd must also pick up His sheep and carry them to safety. Some are injured and cannot move without help. Some become afraid and in fear cannot get where they need to go. Some sheep seem downright ornery and refuse to go in the right direction. These too need to be picked up and carried.

Sheep haven’t been considered the smartest beast in the farmyard, but recent studies reveal that they are more intelligent than anyone thought. Whatever their IQ, God’s Word uses them as metaphor for His people. Having had some experience with these smelly, silly and easily frightened animals, I didn’t like that comparison, yet, I realize it is valid, and some days the carrying part is very comforting.

As one of God’s sheep, I am feeling my weaknesses and inabilities today. I need God’s strength. I’m not sure of what to do next and need His shepherding. Lost and alone, I need Him to carry me.

*****************
Lord, You know my struggles today. I feel like a sheep out in the wilderness, far from where I want to be and far from Your care and attention. I feel like the “Footsteps” author with one set of prints that tell me You have not forsaken me. You do lift me up. You are my strength and my saving refuge. You bless me as my Shepherd too. Carry me through this barren place to green pastures, but first show me what You want me to learn here. Your Word says You use all things for my good — to make me more like You. I don’t like this sense of being in a wilderness, but will stay here until You carry me out.

No comments: