April 29, 2011

A “second childhood” is a good thing

The small daughter of a young family in our church often goes into the aisle while we are singing. Oblivious to everyone around her, she gracefully dances to the music in what I see as an offering of praise. 
Let them praise his name with dancing, making melody to him with tambourine and lyre! For the LORD takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with salvation. (Psalm 149:3–4)
I cannot say if this little one senses the pleasure of God, but it appears so. Besides, the rest of us sense His presence as we worship so she may feel it and not know how to describe it. Instead, it makes her want to dance.

How does God feel when He watches her? Because her sweet worship is precious in my eyes, I imagine that His heart overflows with joy. 

Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 19:14)
Today’s devotional reading focuses on the comprehensive love of Jesus for all of His children. It says that there is no part of our interests which He does not consider, nothing concerning our welfare that is not important to Him. He rejoices when we are joyful; He weeps when we are sad. He wants us to come to Him like children.

Not everyone thinks that God cares about every detail in the lives of His children. One of our Christian friends laughs at the idea of praying for a parking spot, but the Bible says “The steps of a man are established by the LORD, when he delights in his way” (Psalm 37:23) and “But even the hairs of your head are all numbered” (Matthew 10:30). Why then would anyone suppose that God does not care about the mundane details of our lives?

For many years God has been teaching me to rely on Him for all things, to pray about everything, even the details. This is partly because I, like a child, often don’t know what I am doing, but also because He loves me. He cares about me like a father for a child and, “As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him” (Psalm 103:13). He wants me to experience His blessing in everything, even the small things.

This child at church, like any child, has her moments of wilful and stubborn disobedience. She says NO to her parents, fights with her siblings and resists help when she needs it. Am I not much like her?

Why do I resist my Father? Or just forget to ask Him for help? Isn’t it because my heart is fiercely independent and selfish? I am proud and determined to do it myself, forgetting that this is not a grown-up way, but the way of an immature child.

*******************
Father, Your love never stops, even when I act in unthankful and undeserving ways. When I resist You, You scoop me in Your arms and whisper words like, “Just ask me” and “I’m here for you.” How amazing that You should care for me even when I resist You or fight with You.

Thank You for the example of worship in small children. And thank You also for reminding me that Your love covers every part of my life, that You even take pleasure in me! Help me grow up and stop acting like a little brat. Instead, help me worship and serve You with the trust and abandonment of an obedient child.

No comments: