April 1, 2011

No time to waste

Two evenings ago, I stayed up late playing Spider Solitaire and was annoyed with myself. That time could have been better spent doing something more creative and with more than a sore arm to show for it.

As I went to bed, scrimshaw came to mind. I acquired a few pieces in Alaska and knew that this word means “whiling away your idle time” or even wasting time. The name originated back in the days when sailors on whaling ships had nothing better to do than carve pictures in whale bone.

For me, this was a challenge. If sailors could “waste” their time producing works of art, then surely my time could be put to something more productive than topping my previous score in a computer game.

When I got up yesterday morning, I pasted a note on my computer monitor with the word SCRIMSHAW on it, and removed the games from my computer. I’m not sure what I will do instead, but a fine piece of art seems like a better way to “waste” time during those evenings when I have some time to waste. As usual, God backs up this decision with today’s devotional reading.

Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap steadfast love; break up your fallow ground, for it is the time to seek the LORD, that He may come and rain righteousness upon you. (Hosea 10:12)
Fallow ground is a farming term for land that is not in production. In this verse, God tells His people to break it up and plant good things that will produce a crop characterized by steadfast love.

Searching for God in prayer and worship motivates this activity. The word “seek” can also mean “to frequent a place.” All this suggests to me that being productive in a loving and righteous manner includes time with God where He rains His righteousness on me and makes good things grow in my life.

These are not new thoughts. I know that the Lord is my source for all good things. I also know that spending time with Him is important toward experiencing those good things. He is telling me that this does not stop at the end of the day when chores are done and I’ve some time to spare. Instead of fiddling it away, He wants me to find out from Him a better way to use it.

*****
Lord, what better time of day to seek You than in the evening when I am too tired to work, but it is too early to go to bed. Instead of wasting those hours with television, computer games or anything like that, I can rediscover new ways where Your “strength is perfected in weakness.” I am choosing to sow and reap as You say, but first need more than a sprinkle of Your righteousness. With such a bad habit, I no doubt need a downpour  that will wash away the old and bring out new life that will produce a crop. Help me break up this fallow ground and allow You to plant in it (and make grow) whatever will please and glorify You. 


(Image source)

No comments: