April 4, 2011

Mountain Climbing


Yesterday I asked the Bible study class what happens to us as we age. We start out our Christian life filled with enthusiasm for Jesus. We want the whole world to know the good news of forgiveness and eternal life, but with the passing of time, we drift from that focus. Instead of being full of delight in Him, we no longer open our mouths so freely. What happened?

One person suggested that the newness and excitement wear off because we get taken up with the things of this world. Spurgeon agrees. He illustrates by pointing to a mountainous area of Europe. He says many people who live in the valleys are deformed. They have a sickly appearance because of the miasma in the atmosphere. The air is stagnant, unwholesome and oppressive. However, a hardier group of people live on the mountain. They breathe the clear fresh air blowing from the Alpine summits.

Spurgeon compares this to Christians. Those who continually dwell in the valley of this world with its “marshes and the fever mists” would do well to rise above that oppressive stuff and “inhale the bracing element” high on the hills. This is a metaphor for spending time with God where the focus is on the rare and pure air of eternal matters.

Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob, that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths. (Isaiah 2:3)
Chinese missionary and martyr, Watchman Nee was asked about being a Christian. He said it was like having two dogs fighting inside of him. The winner was the one that he fed the most. Getting away from the cares of this life to spend quality time with Jesus is feeding a winner. Our spirits need spiritual nourishment to thrive and live victoriously.

Yesterday I spoke with a neighbor. A few years ago she made a commitment to Christ. However, she has been attending a mainline church where the Bible is not studied. I was appalled to hear her doctrinal deterioration. She once had a firm and certain knowledge what a person must do to be saved. She knew that Christ is the way, the truth and the life, and that no one can come to God except through Him. (John 14:6)

Now she is unsure of many things. She says she cannot judge how people get to heaven, thinks maybe repentance is necessary but hedges, and doubts whether a person needs new life in Christ to become a Christian. What happened? It appears she has stayed too long in the valley.

*****
Lord, some mornings I am tempted to bypass devotions and get on with the day. My to-do list is long, or I’ve this nagging notion that You will be silent and I will be wasting my time reading Your Word. Forgive me for thinking that I can survive in the miasma, and that it will not affect my spiritual well-being. I need time with You. Otherwise, I will not know Your ways or walk in Your paths. I know myself and my tendency to move downward. I need You to always draw me to the heights. I need to spend time basking in the glory of who You are. Save me from those things of earth that pull me down into spiritual neglect and decline, and keep my focus on things above and on You.

No comments: